Thread: ShamWow

ShamWow

That annoying comercial and frequent topic of jokesters in my family. Last year after saying I was disappointed that no one gave me Shamwows for my birthday, They all showered me with Shamwows for Christmas. Although not as advertized I have found a great use for them. After they have been laundered a couple times, they become fuzzy and a great tack rag. It clears all dust and leaves no lint. Throw them in the laundry after a few uses and renewed to their de-dusting glory. I found them to be much better at absorbing dust than water

Operation "Snuggies and ShamWow" Starts now!!!!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Haven't tried the Sham-Wows, but those microfiber cloths sold for auto detailing also make good tack rags. I buy mine in bundles of 25 at Sam's Club.

In addition to being good tack rags, the micro fiber ones will find any sanding imperfections by sticking to them - whether you want them to or not.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Haven't tried the Sham-Wows, but those microfiber cloths sold for auto detailing also make good tack rags. I buy mine in bundles of 25 at Sam's Club.

In addition to being good tack rags, the micro fiber ones will find any sanding imperfections by sticking to them - whether you want them to or not.
    I found that to be a shamwow procedure as well. Will look at Sams for the bundle of rags, but these Shamwows seem to last a long time.

Just don't drop those microfiber rags in the shavings from the lathe. They are like a wood chip magnet! I couldn't get all the chips off the dang thing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty View Post
    Just don't drop those microfiber rags in the shavings from the lathe. They are like a wood chip magnet! I couldn't get all the chips off the dang thing.
    Mostly I drop small things like bushings or nuts off the mandrel or the inserts from my tailstock into the shavings under the lathe... requires a handful by handful search to find it.... they land in the chips, burrow down and then immediately take a left or right so they are never just below where you dropped them.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I would like a Snuggie made out of Sham-Wow material. I would put it on and jump into a pool, and soak the whole thing up!
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty View Post
    Yeah - even a shop vac won't get 'em off! Pretty much makes a 'one time user' out of them.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I really like the ShamWows. I scoffed at them when I first saw them, because I've had shammies before and they were AWFUL, to put it mildly. But David bought a box of them at CostCo, and I took possession of the small ones for the kitchen, and I LOVE THEM for cleaning, wiping down counters, and cleaning the bathroom. Toss them in the washer---but not into the dryer, as that ruins them (DAMHIKT).
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.