Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Methods of work

Methods of work

Hi everyone

Don't know if there is an efficient way to do this, but I though it would be interesting to start a discussion about what techniques others have determined to be the most effective.

For example, I was building a bathroom cabinet and wanted to use rail and panel construction. Reading one of the wood mags I noticed a project that had doors similar to what I was planning on using.

Real simple construction

Cut your rails and stiles

Using a 1/4" slot cutter on your router table cut slots on the inside edge of all the pieces and across the each end of the rails

Cut your plywood to fit the groves

Make "floating tenons" out of the same plywood you used to make the door panel. These fit into the end of the rails and the slot on the stile not filled by the panel

Glue up, you're done.

Sorry, no pics just thought about this idea and the door was built last spring.

The downside of this technique is that you see the floating tenon on the edge of the door. But for many cabinet applications this shouldn't be a distraction and certainly not if you're going to paint something.

I think it is quicker/safer than cutting the slots on a table saw and making a snub tenon on the rails

So what particular techinques have you found useful? And why?

Jay

PS if this makes sense maybe we can set up a sub forum with categories like

making doors
    making drawers
    cabinet assembly
    table bases
    making arches (I think Tod's post covers this)
    etc.

Jay, I think encouraging folks to post "methods of work" is a very good idea. But, I am reluctant to start another area or forum. By convention, anyone starting such a thread could include the words “methods of work”. Or, maybe we could extend the “jigs and fixtures” forum.
    Cheers, Frank

I also like the idea of "Methods of Work: threads, but I would also second the idea of no additional forums. If anything, I think we're a bit forum-heavy, as there are several forums now that get very little traffic.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Jay, if I understand your question...you are saying kind of a tutorial on how you do something? If so... what I do and have done in the past is to start a thread such as my Birdseye Maple and Cherry bookcase and do updates as work progresses. If someone has a question they can post on that thread how something was done and the OP can respond. I do updates as work progresses, then when the project gets done I will/have put a completed picture in the "Showcase" forum.

Using this method you don't need any additional forums and can use the ones that exist...if I didn't understand the question then ignore this drivel.

OK I get it, no more forums!

Just thought it would be easier to browse through a specific area instead of trying to look for posts via the search area

Jay

I like the idea of "methods of work" too but I probably haven't even clicked on all of the forum links on the home page. I only gt to read the forum just so much. Good idea though but I'm like the other guys too. Yeah, I know you said you get it but I just wanted to make sure.

I've been wanting to do a tutorial on making raised panel doors now for some time. I've even got a spreadsheet for figuring parts that I can send out to those who might want it. One of these days I'm gonna get er done.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

My methods....

• Keep all 10 fingers.
    • Limit the number of projectiles coming off of the table saw
    • Empty the cyclone BEFORE the saw dust gets up to the impeller

Nothing unusual or new... I like to cut my tenons on the thick side and then work them to a good fit with the shoulder plane.

I also dryfit everything and mark all pieces so I know exactly which piece goes with what.

Finally, I rarely buy skip planed lumber. I prefer rough saw and let it acclimate in the shop for a couple of weeks or more. I also mill to final size over a week or so to let things move. Once I start the milling process I try to remove wood from all 4 sides to reduce the amount of movement.

Methinks "methods of work" has a FWW ring to it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Methinks "methods of work" has a FWW ring to it...
    I assume you mean that FWW stands for Family WoodWorking

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I assume you mean that FWW stands for Family WoodWorking

Mike
    Mike you're right!! I inadvertantly was thinking of fine WWing the magazine