Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New jointer....maybe?

New jointer....maybe?

I'm itching to upgrade from my current delta 6" jointer to an 8" model. The problem I'm facing is that there are too many choices!

I've looked at the Grizzly's and there are a couple I like - all under $1,300 delivered and I can go either with parallelogram tables or spiral cutter heads. I looked at these machines when I was in PA and they were impressive. The spiral head facinates me but there have been mixed reviews on the surface it produces.

For a little bit more I can move to a Steel City machine. Right now Woodcraft is giving 15% off on all Powermatic and Jet tools. The Powermatic would still be out of reach, but a couple of the Jet machines would fall into my affordability range.

Lastly, there is the used market and right now there are two used DJ-20's for sale in Sparks, NV - about an 8 1/2 hour drive. It would cost me around $300 to go pick one up. They're up for $1,000 even plus my transportation costs. Unfortunately, there's no telling what condition they're in till I get there.

I've given some thought to the combination machines but the length of the bed worries me. One reason to go to the 8" model is to move up to a 72' - 80" bed.

I know there are some die hard Grizzly people here and some DJ-20 devotees. No problem, I'd like to hear your opinions even though you may have a bias. Also, is there some machine I have not considered that you believe to be a major player?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I bought a used DJ-20 for $300. I had to spend $80 to replace the power switch and get the blades sharpened. Fettling the machine out took another 3 hours.

It has worked well for me. I have jointed oak, maple and douglas fir up to 8" wide and never has it stumbled.

I think the Grizzlies would provide the best value for the dollar for new machinery. The DJ-20 is made offshore just like the Grizzlies.

The 1.5 HP 220 volt motor runs a lot smoother and stronger than the 1 HP 120 volt motor on my old 6" jointer.

Good luck.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Rennie, I don't know if your remember my aircraft carrier. An older PM 8". If you can wait a bit, you might come across a used one, like I did. Like Clint Eastwood said - "do you feel lucky?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Lastly, there is the used market and right now there are two used DJ-20's for sale in Sparks, NV - about an 8 1/2 hour drive. It would cost me around $300 to go pick one up. They're up for $1,000 even plus my transportation costs. Unfortunately, there's no telling what condition they're in till I get there.
    I could always go look for you and take pictures, if you are interested. Sparks is 20 minutes from my little ole ranch!

Just let me know.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I've got an 8" Griz I bought used for $300. It came complete with provenance - it was owned by my across-the-road neighbor who used it to flatten one side of the logs he built his house with... twenty-five years earlier... and the knives were still all sharp when I bought it. It took a little cleaning up, and a new Griz-Green paint job. That's a good machine, if you don't look closely at the rough castings. Everything WORKS just fine & dandy.

Me, I don't think I want indexable carbide cutters on a jointer or planer. I'm fine with HSS, which is a whole whirled world less expensive. I also don't think I want granite. Indexable cutters have a place - on metal lathes and in indexable end mills, both for high production work. Granite's place is in surface plates, babied forever.
    -- Tim --

More seriously, I think HSS knives can be resharpened, and replaced inexpensively, might be a better value than the spiral head.

Hi Rennie, I was looking around a couple of years ago for an 8 inch Jointer and was thinking the way that you were. There was a great review on Jointers at the time in FWW ( I think) and this model came out as the best machine in the review.

http://grizzly.com/outlet/8-Jointer-w-2-HP-Motor/G0586

It has a good sized infeed and outfeed table 75 inches total. 2hp and reasonably price too. even with paying duty for mer and the cost of a ferry back and forth from the island it was still a huge savings. I had never seen the spiral cutter heads before and the carbides were just coming out. I went with the regular blades and I am really happy that I did. Easy to sharpen and hone and in the end I still have sanding to do. So why go that extra cost when there is still lots of work to do after the jointing ( at least that was my reasoning). Jointing is the beginning and I have found all kinds of things burried in the wood that I have jointed. Thankfully before that hit the thickness planer. One was a nail that the tree had grown around. No sign of it anywhere on the outside of the lumber. Just can't imagine the damage that would have done to a carbide blade. Anyways I am really happy with my choice.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Get the Griz G0490. Just drive over to Bellingham, and save the shipping, too.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I have run the first face of my 4 sided carbide inserts since May 2008. I just face jointed some curly maple without a bit of tear out. My 6" knives would have been sharpened and re-setup (groan) 3 times by now.

I was cash poor so I researched 8" machines for about 18 months while I saved my pennies and used a planer sled in the meantime. During my research which primarily dealt with owners and their experiences I decided that, for me, the priorities in order of importance were:

- indexed carbide head
    - p-beds
    - long tables
    - tall fence
    - mobility

Other folks will obviously have other priorities. As we all see time and again; what is very important to one person may only be of passing interest to another.

I never wanted to set knives again although I can do it quite quickly. The spiral head is spooky-quiet and smooth while cutting. I love the consistent gap at the cutterhead that the parallelogram design allows. A nice long infeed is a joy and a tall fence is great for edge jointing (especially on angles).

Boy, I'm sure chatty this afternoon. I'll pipe down and let someone else talk ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-31-2009 at 01:11 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Get the Griz G0490. Just drive over to Bellingham, and save the shipping, too.
    It would actually cost less to have it shipped. Bellingham is a 950 mile round trip. At 15 MPG you're looking at almost $200 in gas, plus meals, plus an overnight stay! Plus I loose two days!

But I'll look at it.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com