New jointer....maybe?

I am a big fan of used because of the "bang for the buck" factor. But 8" jointers are not that common so if I needed one I would probably have to go new. Just because they are so rare.

Never considered a spiral head simply because I could buy two or three used machines and restore them for the price of converting one of my jointer. There are no 'off the shelf' for old iron machines.

I don't find changing knives a big deal. It is one of the few places a dial indicator is needed and worth using IMO. Any new machine will have the jack screws and setting one up is fairly easy once you do it a couple of times.

Now with my old PM planner, there are no jack screws and changing blades is a two to three hour job. I tend to put it off because there is just no easy but trial and error (emphasis on the error). That machine is enough to almost make the cost worth it! So I tend to let the blades go longer than I should on it, but not on my jointers.

As i said, the new ones with jack screws are pretty simple so I don't think I would spend the difference unless I was in a production environment. But I am more cost vs. benefit oriented than most anyone on here too. It's still a hobby and I figure my time is free and I have more than than I have money spend.

Last edited:
rennie,, i might be speaking out turn here but i will bet yu that billsatko would be glad to put you up for a overnight stay,, and he is in bellingham..and glenns report is very clear..i havnt seen a griz head in action but i have seen the byrd on a dj20..and the combo machines are just that yu get two things and loose alittle in each to get the other on one. and like someone mentioned..you arent done after the jointer its in the begining stages that they are used..sanding and scraping and handwork is where it stops.. but tearout on figured woods is gonna cause you more grief if its there in the beginning.

Larry's right you can always spend the night here and we would even feed you, but I understand that there is a price you may be willing to pay to avoid a long trip and possible have it "unloaded" by others right in your shop. What that price is for you is something you have to decide.

but tearout on figured woods is gonna cause you more grief if its there in the beginning.

Can honestly say that I have never had a problem with tearout yet with the Grizzly. The 4 cutters are great and that was one of the things that sold me on the Griz. One of the choices that I had that I wasn't prepared for was the choice between the regular blades and the spiral heads and helical heads. the extra costs and how easy is it to sharpen and replace the blades was what settled it for me? I went with the easy old fashioned style blades as they are easier and I don't want to spend too much time playing with the blades. That and where do you get the replacement blades from ( besides Grizzly)? Here in Victoria no one had heard of the helical heads at that time and the suppliers just couldn't help me out, the same with the spiral heads. Regular heads were no problem though. There is lots to say for old fashioned simplicity. :thumb:

Larry's right you can always spend the night here and we would even feed you, but I understand that there is a price you may be willing to pay to avoid a long trip and possible have it "unloaded" by others right in your shop. What that price is for you is something you have to decide.
Thanks Bill! 950 miles, even with a free bed and meal at one end, just does not make sense. The shipping is about 1/3 of my cost plus I don't lose 2 days in the shop.:eek:

I don't know much, but here's my rule on jointers. Get the widest one you can afford. That's more important than the cutters. I had an 8" jointer, now have a 12", and occasionally wish it were a 16". Table length is next in importance, but not far behind. I'm with Jeff, it doesn't have to be new...but it should be in excellent condition unless you enjoy restoring rusty old iron. I just sold a Grizzly shaper with cutters and rub collars...would cost $1200 to walk out the door with all that stuff today. Most of the collars and many of the cutters were unused. Sold it for $300. If I was in the market for a shaper I'd have bought it. There are probably jointer deals like that around if you're willing to search and wait awhile. A word on the cutters. I trust Glenn's opinions on woodworking machines and have no doubt that the indexed carbide heads are worthwhile. I have a good setup for sharpening my knife-style cutters so it's not a problem for me...I'm not a big fan of sending them out. Probably won't find indexed heads in a used machine.

I wouldn't opt for a combination machine for two reasons:
they always represent trade-offs of some kind or other;
you can't upgrade just one of them.

Good luck with your choice.

Cheers.

Are the sale prices reflected in the on line listings?

Not shown online and not a huge discount but, free shipping adds up on some.
P-beds
G0490 - reg $895 + $139 shipping, sale $850 + free shipping.
G0490X - reg $1195 + $139 shipping, sale $1175 + free shipping.

DT-way
G0656 - reg $795 + $139 shipping, sale $695 + $139 shipping.
G0656X - reg $1095 + $139 shipping, sale $995 + $139 shipping.

Last edited: