Rolling Clamp Rack

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So Jeff's discussion on Clamps motivated me to make a rolling clamp rack for my rather puny collection of clamps. Seems I had different clamps stored in 4-5 different places in the shop, which always led to a round of 'WheretheHeckIsits'. Not to mention some of them were hanging from the rafters over the table saw, and more than once I've banged my head into them.

I'm still debating on whether I have enough floor space for this, but I sure do like having them all in one place, and since it's mobile, I can always move it around easily. I'm sure I'll have to do a little more reorganizing to find a permanent home, but then again, it's not like anything actually has a permanent spot in my garage...

This was the inspiration.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/rolling_clamp_rack/

I followed it as far as the basic triangle, but just sort of winged it on the rest.

fww_DSCN3415.jpgfww_DSCN3416.jpg

Ahh, But you've got some fancy schmancy footwear on yours. I've just got good ole cheapy HF casters on mine!

I have a similar rack made by HTC, and I like being able to move the whole thing out of the shop and into the driveway when I need a bit of extra working room. I keep meaning to ass a bottom shelf, but still haven't gotten around to it.

Nice one Brent :thumb: I made a similar one to you too. Some time ago with some OSB on the side to stop the clamps pivoting inwards. Tried to find a picture but no luck.

You will find it a huge help in moving around before a glue up and then when you unclamp you have a place to put them as they come off.

So Jeff's discussion on Clamps motivated me to make a rolling clamp rack for my rather puny collection of clamps. Seems I had different clamps stored in 4-5 different places in the shop...I'm still debating on whether I have enough floor space for this, but I sure do like having them all in one place, and since it's mobile, I can always move it around easily...

Brent,
I made one Similar to yours - and promptly filled it up.

Then I got a commercial (HTC) one on sale - and filled it up, too.

And, I still have about twenty or thirty clamps scattered about the shop.

Norm's right - you can never have too many clamps. :D:D

Nice job on your clamp rack, Brent. :thumb:

The triangular mobile system seems to be fairly popular. I built one several months ago based on Norm's design. I didn't get his plan, just worked from the overall dimensions. The main variation I made was different spacings for the horizontal members to match the various clamps I have that range from 50" Bessey to small spring clamps.