Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fight Club

Fight Club

Just tossing out an idea I plagiarized from a photo forum. A Fight Club.
    Here is how it might work (subject to input from y'alls)
    We pick a turning project. Something small like a pen, stopper, weed pot, etc.
    Competitor would post a photo of the parts. e.g. for a pen, the kit and blank. The posting time would be the start time.
    Within one hour a picture must be posted of the finished item. Post time would document the item was completed within the hour.
    We could allow several days or a week for all who want to enter but only one entry permitted in that time.
    A panel of volunteers (non-turners maybe?) would judge and declare the winner.
    Wadda y'all think?
    Last edited by Frank Fusco; 10-31-2009 at 03:17 PM.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Sounds interesting, but I don稚 think I am proficient enough to turn a pen from start to finish within a hour. I guess that would push me to become more proficient.

Not being a smoker, I知 not sure what one stores in a weed pot. Splain me?

Chuck, a weed pot is just a small vase not intended to hold water. Usually some dried flowers (weeds) are displayed in them. We could set a size limit. e.g. no more than 6" tall. I have made a number of these but, somehow, never saved a picture.
    I agree, making a pen from scratch (cutting, drilling, gluing, turning, assembly) in an hour could be a challenge.
    However, the time limit is not carved in Lignum Vitae yet. I'm just fishing for feedback.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

i am not a turner frank but i think the time frame is gonna cause some non interst...you cant push folks into doing something fast and then have it judged...you be better off to make a certain object in the spinny world and have some criterias set and then do your judging..but then again its your thought or idea so do as you feel right amongst the folks involved..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks Larry. But, I think having a time frame is an exciting part of the challenge.
    That's only my opinion and why I am seeking others.
    Saturday and Sundays are slow here, we will see what others think next week.

I agree, Frank.

Having turned many pens, I know that it can be done well within an hour.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Frank,

Within that hour, one would also have to take a picture, do whatever manipulation that needs to be done with editing software (resizing, cropping, removal of shadows, etc.), then post it, which for me, means I would have 5 minutes to turn, finish and assemble the pen (I知 kinda slow in photography also.)

But if I would have to compete with Bruce who has turned many pens and could do it well within an hour, maybe I値l just pass since I知 a beginner. I値l wait until next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Rodekohr View Post
    Frank,

Within that hour, one would also have to take a picture, do whatever manipulation that needs to be done with editing software (resizing, cropping, removal of shadows, etc.), then post it, which for me, means I would have 5 minutes to turn, finish and assemble the pen (I知 kinda slow in photography also.)

But if I would have to compete with Bruce who has turned many pens and could do it well within an hour, maybe I値l just pass since I知 a beginner. I値l wait until next year.
    We haven't started anything yet. You can't quit yet.
    But, your comments would be taken into consideration. For some, like myself, taking, cropping and making minor editing changes to a photo of an item takes only a couple minutes. I'm no expert but software does make it easy. I use PhotoShop Element or Picassa most of the time.

This sounds fun, I don't do pens though so would have to do something else, weed pots are well under an hour, matbe 20 mins at the most so would have to think of something else, what about a goblet? Or maybe keep itopen to make an article in under an hour and then choose the wimnmner depending on what was made and how good it is?
    Pete

P.S. Can I pinch the idea for another forum?

I'm far from being a real "turner" but have practiced a little on and off. I've actually completed a few pens to prove I could at least do smaller turnings. I'd probably have a go at the contest just for the heck of it. I just don't have a supply of fancy blanks to compete with most of you guys!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station