Got my #7 Jointer plane up and running.

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Spent a little time on my used Stanley Bailey #7.

Got the rounded off blade squared up and sharpened. Started off on my 600 grit diamond 'stone'. Didn't work fast enough. The blade had a convex curve to it, I'm guessing from a lot of stropping. Used the grinder to get it closer, then 220 on a flat plate, then worked it up to 1200 grit, and then some stropping. No hairs left on my left forearm. :thumb:

Tried it out on a 2x4, and it sure was fun! Nice wispy curls of pine!

...Tried it out on a 2x4, and it sure was fun! Nice wispy curls of pine!

Okay guys, he's hooked! Now we'll just reel him in...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lessee, now you need a 2, 3, 4, 4½, 5, 5¼, 5½, 6, and an 8...

Oh, wait! They mad those in both flat sole and corrugated, so you need one of each! :D

Then there's block planes, rabbet planes, compass planes...the list just goes on and on.

Hey, what's that sucking sound? Is it the VORTEX?!?! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

come on jim yu forgot the no. 1 s and all those neat combo planes.. glad to hear yu got it running smooth brent. the rounding on the iron may have been for eliminating the streaks that square iron can leave when flattening..just touch of radius on the outside edges..

Oh, YEAH - GOTTA' get a #1!

I've actually held one in my hands, once. Husband of a co-worker had one... what a SWEET little plane.

Too bad they're going for better than a thousand bucks apiece...

I'm gonna' have to make one. :)

Oh and Brent its not over yet. You still have to have a go at making a woodie.:D:rofl:

I can feel the joy. Just been there. Still smiling weeks later. Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

And I'm going to be in trouble! Spent a little time doing some interwebs shopping this morning....

I was playing around with scrapers in the garage, and got to thinking that when I make my table, I'll probably need to scrap the surface a bit....

So I ordered this...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,310,48431&p=48431

That's a nice one. I sure like mine! It's actually an improvement over the older Stanley 112, although the Veritas handle takes a little getting used to. (Purely aesthetics - not function)

Did you see their little scraper plane? It's nice, too. I was using mine earlier today on some quilted maple.

That's a nice one. I sure like mine! It's actually an improvement over the older Stanley 112, although the Veritas handle takes a little getting used to. (Purely aesthetics - not function)

Did you see their little scraper plane? It's nice, too. I was using mine earlier today on some quilted maple.

I saw the little one. Might have to put that on my wish list. I figured for smaller projects, I could just use my existing scrapers. I even made a little DIY scraper holder today.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip050500sn.html

It actually works pretty good. Sure beats holding the bend in the scraper by hand.