Doll size 4 poster bed

Bryan Cowing

I'm making a pint sized version in walnut of a bed I made about 4-5 years ago for our granddaughter. Progress shots so far. Got the plan free from shopsmith site, reduced it till the bed post was 1.5" square. To fit a 18" doll. Rails will be 22" long. It's 14" wide. Last pic is the full size version I made .
IMG_1211.JPG

IMG_1212.JPG

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1276.JPG

IMG_2018-2.jpg

sounds like someone is gettun spoiled bryan:) looks good though..did yu plan onthe grain flowing in a diagonal on the head board? it sure makes that look like one piece of wood:):thumb::thumb:

sounds like someone is gettun spoiled Bryan:) looks good though..did you plan on the grain flowing in a diagonal on the head board? it sure makes that look like one piece of wood:):thumb::thumb:
Yes she is spoiled. No, but it did fool the eye. I kept thinking the headboard wasn't even. I had it 8" high, but the arch didn't look right so added a few more inches to it. It's hard to get it sized right. It's turning into a queen size bed, enough for two dolls. I probably will have to make up a foam mattress and a box spring for it too! :dunno:

Yikes! That looks like 1/4 scale!

You sure have one lucky granddaughter, and she has one lucky doll! :thumb:

Beautiful Bryan.

Looks like it got a little "sprinkled on" during that last picture.

I am sure this will be treasured for generations to come.

Aloha, Tony

Great looking bed, I built a similar several years ago but couldn't find the brass bolt caps in the correct size so I used M&T joint. where did you find them?

BTW, that is a fine looking piece and I'm sure the girls will love it.

Great looking bed, I built a similar several years ago but couldn't find the brass bolt caps in the correct size so I used M&T joint. where did you find them?

BTW, that is a fine looking piece and I'm sure the girls will love it.

The bolts are 1/4 -20 x3", I had a box of them. The square nuts I found in my tub of left overs. I used a 1/2" mortise chisel to make the hole for the nut to fit into. If I got a new 1$ coin to use as a cover, do you think it would be left there? LOL! Someone mentioned to look at costume jewelry , may find a medallion in the 1" size. Hole to cover is 3/4".

Last edited:
UPDATE!

I also have been making 2 Armoire's for doll clothes. The doll bed, got 4 coats of wipe on poly. A long process, and I found blue shop towels leave a lot of fuzz in the finish. Lint free cloth I found in the finish cabinet a lot better:huh:. Must have forgot I had them! This morning switched to spraying the wipe on with my old Wagner HVLP gun. Much better!
The armoires, this weekend I got the drawers done and 4 separate fronts made up. Next I have to make up some trim to look like crown, and a top. Then I can make the slab doors.
IMG_1308-1.JPG

IMG_1312.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

Great bed details, I made one a bunch of years ago for my mom, made it to match her favorite Cherry Cannonball bed and suite. for her antique dolls that she had when she was young (mom is 90 now) Anyway I made it to scale and large enough for her biggest doll. (almost 3') Every Great-Grandchild or visiting child wants to lie down in it. (and does) Mom's cats used to lie there as if it were made for them... As for mattress, we went with a feather mattress ( merely a pillow case sewn over a down pillow)

I have been searching my files all morning looking for the pictures and have had no luck....

Last edited:
Great job on that Bryan:thumb: If you didn't have things in the background to give scale, you wouldn't know it is a doll bed, just fantastic. I am sure she will cherrish it forever:)