What we do for love .. and dovetails

Derek Cohen

This is a gift for my wife. I started the coopered top about a month ago, got back to it over the weekend (to round off the inside - with a hollow - and the outside) when I decided that it could become a feature in the review I am writing on the 20 tpi Veritas dovetail saw. The focus here was to cut dovetails in thin boards.

The 20 tpi is aimed at thinner boards. I have been assessing it (against its 14 tpi sibling) on different wood thicknesses. For a feature, I built two boxes, one with 1/8" thick sides, and this one with 1/4" thick sides.

The box is not quite completed. I have done enough for the article for now, and I have a priority (provided by Lynndy) to complete a wardrobe for a guest bedroom before her brother and family descend on us for Christmas. So the box gets put aside until later.

I must say that I am happy with the way it is turning out. I had a couple of hours after work today to fit the lid to the box, clean up the sides, and buff on a coat or two of oil.

The wood is Jarrah (very unforgiving when cutting dovetails). The inside base is She-oak. Dimensions: 6" long x 3 1/2" wide x 3" high (at the centre).

Dovetails (of course!)...

Boxfordovetailsaw11.jpg

Boxfordovetailsaw12.jpg

Boxfordovetailsaw10.jpg

Boxfordovetailsaw13.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Very nice Derek:thumb: The jarrah sure looks good oiled. With jarrah being such a dense, hard wood I would imagine cutting the tails was a challenge, one you handled well. Your wife should love the box:thumb:

She-oak is another eucalypt from Oz. About 50% more dense than Jarrah!

The piece in the box is a remnant from this board which I 4-squared by hand (look at the grain - it goes in every direction. Such fun to plane!) ...

Preparing%20a%20board%20without%20a%20thicknesser_html_m2ca80244.jpg

... then used the bandsaw to cut these boards ...

Preparing%20a%20board%20without%20a%20thicknesser_html_161cebf3.jpg

... which became this box (which should give you a better idea of the figure) ...

Preparing%20a%20board%20without%20a%20thicknesser_html_9bf3573.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have seen your coopered box displayed in a couple of other forums, but I never get tired of looking at it. There is something very mesmerizing about the coopered top. I have this unrealistic urge to run my hand over the top of it. I think that is the true test if you like something; the urge to run your hands over it to get the feel of it.

As everyone has said; thanks for posting it here.

very nicly done derek, and the coppered top looks very porportionate..would like to see that she oak myself some where closer.. was yur finish on your hand brace oil as well?