Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Devil Made Me Do It

The Devil Made Me Do It

Actually, it was Rennie's fault. Here's my version of his Shop Vac / Dust Deputy cart...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dust Devil and Cart - 01 800.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	38756

The cart is just a piece of unfinished scrap T-111 siding, with scrap pine milled to 1 x 1 and glued around the edge for stiffness. In the true Norm spirit, I also shot 1" staples about every 3" or 4" around the perimeter into the stiffeners...until the glue dries, of course.

I was previously using the blue and white steel 5 gallon bucket with a HF separator lid. This metal bucket was screwed to a piece of scrap plywood, and I had mounted wheels on it. (Pulling that bucket with the Shop Vac trailing behind it has always been a pain. The 5 gallon bucket was too easy to tip over with that arrangement.) Since that bucket already had screw holes in the bottom of it, I used in as the bottom bucket for the Dust Deputy. The plywood that was already mounted to the bucket is now attached to the cart with t-nuts.

I removed the wheels from my Shop Vac, and stole Rennie's bungee cord idea to hold it onto the cart. The wheels under the new cart were previously under the old 5-gallon separator bucket.

Enough talk about the fine craftsmanship and exacting standards of the cart. How well does it work? With my old separator lid, I'd say it caught 80% of the solids, but most of the 20% that did make it past the separator was filter-clogging dust.

I vacuumed a bunch of nooks and crannies around the shop tonight and got about a half bucket of lathe debris and dust. Here's the separator bucket...

Name:	Dust Devil and Cart - 02 800.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	38757

And here's how much made it past the separator into the Shop Vac. I should note that I did not wipe the dust off the inside of the Shop Vac before running this test (and a couple prior to this one)...

Name:	Dust Devil and Cart - 04 800.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	38759

There was a small amount of dust that did make it past the separator and onto the filter, but it's very minor compared to what I'd see if I didn't have at least some kind of separator on the Shop Vac. Plus, it's a CleanStream filter, so it's easy enough to clean.

Name:	Dust Devil and Cart - 03 800.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	38758

I like what I'm seeing so far. I believe that in time, the Dust Deputy will pay for itself by greatly reducing the number of filters I'll need to buy in the future. Many thanks to Rennie for the inspiration. His idea really sucks.
    Last edited by Vaughn McMillan; 11-04-2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: To change "Dust Devil" to "Dust Deputy". Doh!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Nice
    gotta make one of those
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Don't know what your filters cost but mine are $15 apiece. The best thing is it already paid for itself cause it didn't cost me a thing to make. The bad part about trying to test mine was I didn't have any dust in the shop since I built and installed my cyclone so I went out to the pile of mulch we just bought and tested it on that .

Sometimes I'm just >> way ahead << of the curve......

Nice work Vaughn, I know that I sure like my set up!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Where did you buy the dust devil part? I can't seem to find it on the net anywhere. I'd like to make one this week.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

That is exactly what I need to do. Problem: no floor space for it. Maybe after buyer comes for the duplicator machine I can rearrange a bit. Right now, my DC system is a broom and dust pan.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Actually, it was Rennie's fault. Here's my version of his Shop Vac / Dust Devil cart...
    I like what I'm seeing so far. I believe that in time, the Dust Devil will pay for itself by greatly reducing the number of filters I'll need to buy in the future. Many thanks to Rennie for the inspiration. His idea really sucks.
    You're welcome, but I stole it from Jim Delaney.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Where did you buy the dust devil part? I can't seem to find it on the net anywhere. I'd like to make one this week.
    Look for Dust Deputy. They're available from a number of on line sources including woodcraft or directly from Oneida.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Here is a link to a video put out by Oneida on the Dust Deputy showing how it works.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    Don't know what your filters cost but mine are $15 apiece..
    Alan, the stock paper filters for mine are about $12, the better (washable) ones are about $20, and the CleanStream Gore-tex filter I have now was $30.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    ...Look for Dust Deputy. They're available from a number of on line sources including woodcraft or directly from Oneida.
    Sorry for the difficult search, Bob. I was calling it the Dust Devil instead of the Dust Deputy. Rockler is another source...that's where mine came from.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Cool, I'm heading there tomorrow. They sent me 20% off coupon last week
    Faith, Hope & Charity