Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It showed up today (Finally) ( almost)

It showed up today (Finally) ( almost)

Well it showed up finally, but am still waiting for the stand and outrigger. Now a couple of days I will be turning something. Don't laugh too hard at the first posts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lathe arrival 001.JPG  
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Heck all I see is a box is that really a spinny thing???
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

The DVR inside that box is a pretty "brill" machine; my good friend Limey used to own one. Warning - the headstock is fantastically HEAVY.
    -- Tim --

Welcome to the Vortex, Drew.

That is a quality lathe, you bought.

Also, remember, We ALL started without any experience and look where we've gotten to.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Just like a kid in the candy store, had to open it. Get the knee pads ready so I can start turning. Ran it through the speeds and all I can say is Wow!!I like it!! It runs so smooth and quiet I had never imagined it could be like this. I know I am going to like working with this new toy. Way different than the old lathes from my school days. I can now understand how slippery that slope can be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe unpacked 001.JPG  
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Woo hoo! Congrats on the new addition. That's a great lathe.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Oh My, that looks like it will be some fun!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Congrats. Too bad it's color doesn't match the jointer in the background.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Drew, you are going to love that lathe!

Have you ordered the bed extension yet?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Drew, you are going to love that lathe!

Have you ordered the bed extension yet?

Cheers!
    No Stu I have not even recieved the stand or out rigger yet. It seems that KMS didn't realise that they are selling a package deal and that the packages all come seperate. Good help is sometime hard to find I guess. I shouldn't complain as they are trying to get it over to me asap and may be shipping it through purolator so i may get it,the outrigger and the adapter for the chuck by Friday. I am looking into the bed extension though as i am sure I am going to need/ want it. I am going to do some measuring today as I have just learned that the stand height is 802mm /31.5inches and 22kg/50lbs per side. with holes to bolt to the floor. I am rather tall 6'2" and I have to mesure my elbow for height to the spindle center. The stand may not give me the height that I need. I may be building my own stand with space for a sand box, but how much sand is 100 lbs? and do I have the space for that or should I just modify the cast stand with adjusting bolts to bring it to my height? You picked up some wheels for yours didn't you? how did that work out? Yea I know questions questions questions. I am just itching to get started.

I was up late reading the manual and learning all the settings and .... well you know just playing with the new toy. Turning it on and off and just listening to how quiet it is. Cleaning all the parts and learning that the chuck has numbered jaws It fits way better now. Yes it does require reading the instructions at lease once in my life.