It showed up today (Finally) ( almost)

Drew Watson

Well it showed up finally, but am still waiting for the stand and outrigger. Now a couple of days I will be turning something. Don't laugh too hard at the first posts. :thumb:

Attachments

• Lathe arrival 001.JPG
    Lathe arrival 001.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 87
Just like a kid in the candy store, had to open it. Get the knee pads ready so I can start turning.:rofl: Ran it through the speeds and all I can say is Wow!!I like it!! It runs so smooth and quiet I had never imagined it could be like this. I know I am going to like working with this new toy. Way different than the old lathes from my school days. I can now understand how slippery that slope can be. :eek::eek::thumb::thumb::D:D

Attachments

• lathe unpacked 001.JPG
    lathe unpacked 001.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 50
Drew, you are going to love that lathe!:thumb:

Have you ordered the bed extension yet? :D

Cheers!

No Stu I have not even recieved the stand or out rigger yet. :(It seems that KMS didn't realise that they are selling a package deal and that the packages all come seperate. :rolleyes:Good help is sometime hard to find I guess. :dunno: I shouldn't complain as they are trying to get it over to me asap and may be shipping it through purolator so i may get it,the outrigger and the adapter for the chuck by Friday. I am looking into the bed extension though as i am sure I am going to need/ want it. I am going to do some measuring today as I have just learned that the stand height is 802mm /31.5inches and 22kg/50lbs per side. with holes to bolt to the floor. I am rather tall 6'2" and I have to mesure my elbow for height to the spindle center. The stand may not give me the height that I need. I may be building my own stand with space for a sand box, but how much sand is 100 lbs? and do I have the space for that or should I just modify the cast stand with adjusting bolts to bring it to my height? You picked up some wheels for yours didn't you? how did that work out? Yea I know questions questions questions. I am just itching to get started.

I was up late reading the manual and learning all the settings and .... well you know just playing with the new toy. Turning it on and off and just listening to how quiet it is. Cleaning all the parts and learning that the chuck has numbered jaws:doh: It fits way better now.:eek: Yes it does require reading the instructions at lease once in my life.:rofl:

Thanks to all for the support into my horiazontal spiral:D It is going to be fun when I get it up and running. I can see the need for a few extra's already and i am sure that everyone here who spin can advise me as to what else I may be needing Or not needing. I have joined the Turning Guild here in Victoria so that i can get some hands on help. Yea Frank the color doesn't match but oh what a machine it is. I guess I will just have to live with it.:D

Don't bolt you lathe to the floor, that is really a mistake, I know, I did it.

If you need to raid it up a bit, do so, but try it at the stock height first.

The >> Zambus << casters I got work really well, I'm very pleased with them, the let the lathe sit right down on pads when you lower it off the wheels, simple and easy. If you were moving the lathe every day, twice a day, they are not the answer, but if you are only moving it occasionally, then they rock, and they add about 3 1/4" to your height, they have a version ("S" version I think) that has a stem that would just screw into the mounting holes on the bottom of your lathe stand legs, where the leveling feet go now. If you decided that you need even more of a lift, then you would just put a board back to front on each leg of your stand, and mount the wheels on the board.

Here is >> Vaughn's thread << about using these casters on his Mustard lathe.

>> Alan Trout << putting similar casters on his DVR

and further down the page >> HERE << you can see where I put them on my DVR

Cheers!

Thanks Stu. I was thinking along those lines but will re think that now. I actually was looking at the cast stands that come with the lathe. and if I go with the bed extension I think I will need to get a third leg to support the extension. So I may end up building a stand when I get the bed extension. Will see when the stand shows up next week. I am also re thinking the mobility issue and just keeping it in one home. Thanks for all the links to posts it has helped me in figuring what I am wanting to do.

Well I got to play a little with the lathe tonight and have always wanted to try an egg. So here it is, out of a 2x2 hunk of cherry I had saved from the burn pile last week. I am sure that I am doing something wrong (besides turning on my knees) in the pics but Oh well it was fun. I have realized that I really need to get someone to show me how to sharpen the used tools I picked up a few years ago. I also realised that I need a small tool rest. The wife came out and was really impressed at how quiet the lathe is. She has also an interest in trying it out. Gave her the first egg and she is loving it.

Attachments

• First egg 005.JPG
    First egg 005.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 16
  • First egg 006.JPG
    First egg 006.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 15
  • First egg 008.JPG
    First egg 008.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 13
  • First egg 009.JPG
    First egg 009.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 14
Drew, that is a darn fine egg, and turning on you knees :eek: Good gravy, you must have a couple of sawhorses there somewhere :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The way the bed extension goes together, you do not need any further support, the bed really does become one big solid chunk of steel.

Last edited:
Drew, that is a darn fine egg, and turning on you knees :eek: Good gravy, you must have a couple of sawhorses there somewhere :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The way the bed extension goes together, you do not need any further support, the bed really does become on big solid chunk of steel.

Thanks Stu it was fun, I felt like a kid on Christmas and by the way it is only 49 sleeps to go:doh:. I wanted to do a couple of more but had to come in from playing, Darn wife, shucks.:rofl: The saw horses are out side in the wind and rain storm so they can stay there for the time being. I was concerned about the weight on the old horses that i have right now and may have to make a couple of more tomorrow. I also realize that I need a couple of more tools.

That is great news about the extension Stu. Wish list for Christmas. which is only .....:rofl::rofl::rofl: