Developing VARDO kayak

Jeff Horton

So you said you would be interested in seeing a SOF built so here you go. This is my latest design Vardo. Click here for more info on it. Assuming this boat has no surprises or disappointments me, my plan is to offer it as a kit. So this is the prototype and will help me determine any changes needed.

Obviously the first part was the design of the boat. I will skip that part and just say I have been working on the boat design off and on for a three months.

development.jpg

Once the design was finalized I created a set of offsets for the frames and draw them out on some cardboard. I don't draw out the actual frame, just the the critical points so I can visualize the frames better. This is surprising harder than you think. So it's better to mess up on paper and regardless how careful I am I always do.

day1-1.jpg

I take the cardboard sketches and layout the frames on some cheap plywood. Even after doing this many times it's still slow and so easy to make a mistake. it takes me a while to do this. Much of this is just done by eye and experience as I go.

day1-2.jpg

Once the frames are laid out I usually cut them in smaller pieces and take them to the bandsaw. I can do a much better job with the band saw than the jig saw. So I rough all these out and make the final cuts there.

day1-3.jpg

At the end of the day I have the outsides cut pretty close to size. I will go back and sand these and do some work with the rasp also. Still a good bit of work to have the outsides finished before they are finished.

day1-4.jpg

Tomorrow I start cutting the insides of the frames.

Jeff

Thanks for posting this new project of yours Jeff, I'll look closely its evolution:thumb:.

A question if I may, what software do you use to draw your boats?

Toni, I use FreeShip. It was originally a freeware program. Once the developer got it to where he wanted he went commercial with it and it is not Deft Ship. The free version is still out there you just have search around to find it.

No, I need to pay someone that has one so I don't have to mess with a CNC router. ;) Lots less aggravation.

Of course then I would need CAD and learn to use it.:rolleyes:

Don't think so, as you already have the sections, and I guess that you can export them into any vectorial standard format like dfx, hpgl, eps or others, you could take the file or files of the sections and have them plotted on paper at full size, then glue the paper on a masonite sheet and cut them to use as templates.

There must be some copy and plotting shop somewhere near to you I hope. If not you could send me the file and I could send you back the plottings

DAY 3

DAY 3

I didn't work on the boat yesterday. By the time I got the little bit of work I had done I just didn't feel good. Sinuses were bothering me so I just worked on some new boat ideas on the computer.

This morning I headed out to check out a new wood supplier I meet at the boat show. I asked if someone was always there and I was told almost always. Well you guessed it, no one was there today. This really messed me up because I had made the slots in the frames for 3/4 inchs stringers instead of 5/8" since I thought I had found a good supplier (and I may have).

So I went to the lumber yard and searched through the WRC siding and managed to find three decent boards, not good ones. By the time I plane down the rough face they end up 5/8" thick. To small for the slots I had cut. I spent a good bit of time thinking about what to do. I finally decided that the only good answer was to glue up the slots and recut them.

day2-frames1.jpg

I cut some oversized pieces and fitted each one to a slot and glued it in place. Once dry I will recut all the slots and clean them up.

day2-frames2.jpg

Next step was to make the stringers. I planed the stringers down to 5/8" and ripped them to width.

day2-stringers1.jpg

Then cut the knots out with scarfs cuts. Glued them all up to 18' or longer.

day2-stringers2.jpg

I am going paddling tomorrow morning so I probably want get anything done. But my next step is to run the stringers through the shaper to round over the edges.

Then mount the frames on the strong back and start assembling the fuselage.

DAY 4

Started out doing some sanding on the pattern frames. I have a couple I messed up and will have to be remade but there good enough for now. And I will almost always find stuff I want to change and I am already seeing some I may change.

Once the frames were done I decided not to run the stringers through the shaper at this time and just work on getting the patterns right.

day3-1.jpg

Once I got a few stringers in place I started working on a new idea, an intermediate frame to support the coaming.

day3-5.jpg

I started with my offsets and cut the outside and did a test fit. And as expected it didn't work out like I had in mind.

day3-2.jpg

I spent a while in the 'moaning chair' and thought this through and decided it was OK after all so I cut out some more and did some measuring with the frame in place. It took some fiddling but I like what I have. You will have to wait to see the finished product though, it's still in my head.

day3-3.jpg

With the frame finished I took a seat out of a Curlew and put in the boat to see how it would fit.

day3-4.jpg

So far so good. I was actually very surprised at how well everything fit. I see a couple of things that I didn't/couldn't see on the computer but that is always the case. I had an idea that might change the design but I am not sure. But that's where I called it a day.

DAY 4

First order of business was to layout the bow and stern pieces. Pretty straight forward stuff. Got these made and put them in palace on the boat to 'eye-ball' them and make sure they look good and they do. But I am not sure I am happy with them. I keep looking the the photo and thinking I could improve it.

day4-1.jpg

Here is the frame temporarily assembled. Everything looks good at this point.

day4-2.jpg

Next step is take everything apart to make the final frames. I had two that changes. So I made the new ones and called it a day. Next step is run the stinger through the shaper to round over the edges and cut out the new frames and pattern route them. Then we start assembly. I need to settle on a what skin I want on this one.

day4-3.jpg

DAY 5

Spent a few minutes cleaning up the edges of the patterns first thing. Then I laid them on out of the good ply and started cutting out the final frames. Once that was done I attach the patterns to the blanks and headed to the router and cut them to size. Here they are routed and ready to be separated from the patterns.

day5-1.jpg

After that I take the time to set up the router with a round over bit and ease the edges of the frames. Doesn't really do much but it makes them look much better. No one but me ever see's most of them though.

Next I need to finish up the stringers. I clean up the scarf joints before I run them though the shaper. Once that is done I like to round over the edges of the stringer. It makes a smoother looking boat and since I routed the frames I don't have to square up the corners.

With 18-19' foot long stringers it takes a lot of space to run these. I am so glad it is warm enough to still open the shop door!

day5-2.jpg

day5-3.jpg

Once all that was done the day was pretty much gone. OK, there was time left, just wasn't much of me left. I was pooped! But I did press on for another hour or so. I wanted to mount the frames to the strong back before I quit. Then I called it a day!

day5-4.jpg

Day 6

Not that much to see but I did get a good bit done. I have all the frames in place and ready to be lashed. I have the bow and stern pieces cut to shape. I will wait till the all the frames are lashed and then I I make the final cuts and fit them in place.

day6-3.jpg

I lashed a few joints but I spent a large part of the afternoon shooting a new lashing video.

day6-2.jpg

day6-1.jpg

Not much to see but it's starting to look like kayak frame.

Definitely need to see the lashing videos at some point.

Also, what kind of plywood do you use for the formers?