A story, my workbench (lots of pics)

Jerry Strojny

A couple of weeks ago, a friend (Evan) and I drove down to American Sycamore Retreat for a weeklong "class". We had a one-on-one with Mike Van Pelt building a workbench. He is sponsored by Delta/Porter Cable. So lots of unisaws and porter cable routers around. He started his school in 2001. A few years ago he was on the Woodworking Shows circuit doing the demo's in the Delta booth.

I know this is no Portsmouth Dressing Table, but a workbench to me is the "center" of the workshop. So it was very exciting to me to finally have a "real" workbench. And even better something that I built. Just felt like sharing with the great people here my experience, and encourage any else to tell the story of their bench.

DAY 1
This first photo of a stack of wood that is about how much is in each bench (110 bd ft of hard maple, 35 bd ft of walnut).
P1020244.jpg

After jointing and planing the the rough lumber, we cut them all down to about 4" wide.
P1020173.jpg

After selecting the boards we each wanted for our top, we marked for biscuits every 6". Then the "marathon" glue up. All hands on deck for these. The three of us had to work fast to get all the surfaces gooped with glue and then clamped....and then we did it again. That was the end of day 1.
P1020178.jpg

DAY 2
Day 2 started with taking all the clamps off and then getting to work on the aprons. We selected 2 maple boards and 2 walnut boards. After machining those just like yesterday, we got ready to work with the plunge router. Mike has a 1" solid aluminum template made up for routing out the dog holes. Here you can see Evan working one of 26 for each bench. Tedious and repetitive work...it was a long day for me.
P1020180.jpg

P1020185.jpg

After all those were done, we marked for biscuits and glued the walnut to the maple...voila, you have instant dog holes.

DAY 3
Today we started with cutting the top glue-up down to it's final size. Multiple passes with a router...If it were up to me and Evan, we would have cut it slightly long using a portable saw and then just cleaned up the cut with the router...would have been much faster with the same results. But anyway.
P1020190.jpg

Here you can see Evan cutting more biscuits to attach the apron to the top.
P1020193.jpg

And here it is dry fitted together.
P1020197.jpg

Here I am cutting my aprons down to final size. Must match the length of the top exactly! (well very close at least.)
P1020199.jpg

After all that was fitted to the top, we glued them to the top.

Next we got started on the wood for the vises. Here is Evan face jointing a piece for his side vise. Two pieces are used to make the tail vise. They all get run through the planer, ripped to width on the table saw, and then glued up. Final planing is done the next day to clean up the glue and get them to final width and length. We also had to make the end aprons. These were all done at the same time with the vises.
P1020200.jpg

DAY 4
Day 4 - Cleaning up and refining the cuts on the miter saw.
P1020203.jpg

Next we got to drilling holes for the vises. A bit of set up happens before the drill actually comes out. 3 holes for each vise, so after 12 holes, we could finally move on.
P1020207.jpg

Here I had just cut my tail vise to final width...I got lucky on my second try...Mike is admiring how well it lined up the the sides of the bench.
P1020211.jpg

We then marked the center-point for holes in the end and side vises. Took them to the drill press, and drilled those 12 holes. After those were drilled, we marked and pre-drilled the holes for the vise hardware that gets attached to the underside of the bench and screwed those down.

Here is near the end of the day. Apparently we had also machined and glued up wood for the legs...you always start to forget to take pictures by day 3 or 4 of anything don't you?
P1020216.jpg

DAY 5
We worked on the base this day. In the picture below, you can see two feet glued up. The spaces are the mortises for the tenons that will be cut into the bottom of the legs.
P1020219.jpg

Here is the base dry fitted.
P1020220.jpg

After cutting the legs to length, they were sent to the router table. Mike has a big profile bit that put a nice detail to the top of the leg...you can it here, Even is sanding the side of the foot on Mike's oscillating belt sander.
P1020221.jpg

End of the day, we flipped over the bench tops...it's been a few days since we saw them. We were pretty proud of what we had done so far.
P1020225.jpg

P1020226.jpg

DAY 6
Last day. All the base pieces had been glued up so all that was left was machining some wood for the shelf. I guess I forgot to take any photos of the shelf stretchers...but how many times do you need to see jointing, planing, ripping, cutting the length? The only unique thing was cutting the tenons on the end. Table saw with a dado cutters. Nothing special. After machining the walnut for the shelf slats, the tops were rounded over (1/8") and then marked for pre-drilling. Drill press did the "heavy work" of the pre-drilling. Maple plugs were used on the walnut slats. Here you can see Evan touching up the tops of the shelf slats to match the top of the stretcher. (A 1" rabbit was cut for the slats to sit on.)
P1020235.jpg

Here is my bench with the top on for the first time. All that was left was making the "end caps" that fill in the open side of the tenon in the legs. The tops and sides were sanded with many grits, until it was smooth as....you know what.
P1020233.jpg

Here we are, benches loaded up and ready to go. We hung around the shop till about 7:30 chatting with Mike. I was sore after that week. Lots of heavy lifting for a desk jockey. But well worth it. I love the bench....but I suppose I should actually use it before I give the official thumbs up.
P1020243.jpg

Incase anyone was wondering, the bench is 78" long, 81" if you include the jaw of the vise. 24" wide. Aprons are just over 5" and the top is 1 3/4" thick. The side and tail vises are 6" tall. The vise hardware is Rockler's 12" vise. The legs are about 4" square, the feet are about 4"x5" and 28" long. When I got it home I set the individual pieces on a bathroom scale. The overall weight is about 322 pounds. It is a very solid and stout bench. In the future I hope to add a board jack (like shaker style benches) and also add some drawer storage on that shelf in the base. Any ideas for the board jack would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, I'm still debating as to what finish to but on it. Any suggestions with pros and cons would also be appreciated. Happy building! Tis the season.

Great benches, great fun, great time with a friend, doesn't get any better than that. Congrats Jerry and thanks for sharing. Man your going to love using that bench, and you will remember the build every time you use it :thumb::thumb:

WoweewooWa! That's some fancy workbench! If I had something that nice, I'm sure I'd keep it clean, cause it would be a shame to cover it up with 'stuff'!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

nice tutorial and glad it came out so well..yu will look back many times at the good time yu had building this and the friendships yu made while doing it..:thumb::thumb:

One heck of a way to spend a week, I'm sure you learned a lot as well a made a great looking bench! :thumb:

For finish, I'm very much liking the finish I put on my bench, 80% mineral oil, 20% beeswax, all heated up and melted together, then rubbed on, and let stand over night. The next day, I just rubbed off any excess.

That was a great post Jerry! :clap:

Pic #2 - NOBODY but NOBODY should ever be handling the outfeed of a rip except to support it, even with an overhead guard on the saw.

Pic #10 - NOBODY but NOBODY should lay their hand flat on the workpiece as it's going through the jointer... and the jointer should NOT be operated without any guard.

Pic #18 - the right side of the benchtop is ready to fall off the table with our warrior standing on it; the sticker it's resting on is barely on the table's edge. :)

Not many violations, but that jointer thing is SPOOKY BAD. Good way to spray your hand all over the floor, all the way up to the wrist.

Pic #2 - NOBODY but NOBODY should ever be handling the outfeed of a rip except to support it, even with an overhead guard on the saw.

Oh you'd love the job I had one summer working in a molding mill up in Wisconsin in the 80's.

One of my jobs was working the out feed side of a gang saw where we would turn wide boards into narrow boards.

Every now and then one piece would get a little too thin and catch on the blade and go flying back at the guy on the infeed side of the saw at a few hundred miles per hour...

He told me that one time he actually had one of those strips go right into the palm of his hand...

Pic #10 - NOBODY but NOBODY should lay their hand flat on the workpiece as it's going through the jointer... and the jointer should NOT be operated without any guard.

Pic #18 - the right side of the benchtop is ready to fall off the table with our warrior standing on it; the sticker it's resting on is barely on the table's edge. :)

Not many violations, but that jointer thing is SPOOKY BAD. Good way to spray your hand all over the floor, all the way up to the wrist.

Tim, I do agree with you in general, but as I was not there, I'll not pass judgment on what went on.

Who knows, maybe 10 minutes before the picture on the jointer was taken, someone dropped a big piece of wood on the guard and it broke :dunno:

I agree that my hands are almost always on them push pads for the front hand and a hooked push pad for the back hand on my jointer, as it scares the pants off of me when it is running :eek:

The table saw outfeed, from the pic I cannot see that he is pulling or holding anything, to me it looks more like once the board is pushed past the blade and clear, he is moving it out of the way, so a new board can go through the saw, saving the operator from reaching over/around the blade (bad idea) or turning the saw off, and waiting for it to stop, then moving the board, (good idea, but takes time when you have a bunch of boards to rip) in this way the team work is safe and speeds things up.

The bench top barely on the other bench, good eye, I did not see it :thumb:

Boy that could have been a funny (ouch!) action shot :rofl:

Jerry, again, great bench, something you will be proud of the rest of your woodworking life, thanks for sharing the process with us! :wave:

I have had two of those for years. They beat the roller stands that stand on three legs and tip over at the mere appearance of a piece of wood approaching them!

I noticed them (and yes there were other spookies not shown in these photos) and did point out a couple to Mike...Let's just say, we were lucky and I hope to never to repeat the same risks again. Believe me, none of those things happen in my shop. (Evan did start using a big 'ol jointer push block after that photo was taken. As far as the guard, we talked to Mike about that, too.)

Pic#18---holy cow, I saw that when I downloaded pictures I just about crapped myself. I do believe the other end of the sticker was comfortably under the bench though. If the whole thing were really that close to the edge, it would have fallen. I got lucky on that one too.

Seems like I may have used up a bit of my good luck that week...hopefully there's still some left.

Thanks for all the comments. It was a fun week. And BLO seems to be one of the common choices for the finish. (I never thought this choice would be so hard for me.)
Jerry