Thread: Little Brother

Little Brother

Got the new Veritas miniature rabbeting plane today. It's even smaller than I'd thought it'd be. Cute little feller, though - Here it is 'playing' with its bigger brothers:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mini plane.JPG  
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Sure is a cute little guy
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Jim:

I saw that in an Lee Valley email promotion recently. Is there a practical use for a plane of that size? Is it for touching up tenons?

I'm a neophyte neander, though I have successfully used my Bailey #5 as a poor mans jointer.

Cheers

Jim

Nice one Jim I am still waiting on getting the medium sized brother. You already have the whole family and the relatives uncle aunty and all.

I saw the LV advert but wondered what it would be used for being so small, hows about a demo of its use.
    cheers

I saw that last week at the LV store. It is a cute little guy. It was razor sharp and had a neat little case. I could see slicing my fingers real easy with something that small. I just couldn't find any use other than hanging from a key chain for it.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Nice one Jim I am still waiting on getting the medium sized brother. You already have the whole family and the relatives uncle aunty and all.

I saw the LV advert but wondered what it would be used for being so small, hows about a demo of its use.
    Rob,
    Now that I have it, I really can't think of a really good use for it. It's just too danged small to be practical.

When I opened the box, my wife said "A tie bar? You don't wear neckties anymore."
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Tiny Tenons!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Keep feeding it with good wood and maybe it'll grow up given enough time..
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Boy that is small, maybe for regular woodworking, it may not be of much use, but I bet some model or scale woodworkers would find it very useful
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

It'll toughen him up in the long run, getting to hang out with the big boys.
    Henry Jones
    Behlen Industries
    Waterlox Inc.