Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Gloat

Small Gloat

I was talking handsaws and sharpening at the Onrust worksite this summer and a guy I have known casually for a few years overheard me say I was looking for a saw vise. I have one from my FIL but is one really enough ? He said he had one he had never used that I could have. He has been dragging it around in his car for a few months and we finally were in the same place at the same time and I came home with this. It's in pretty good shape except for the clamp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sawvise1.jpg   Sawvise2.jpg  
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND

Very nice Don!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Can't complain about that a bit! Now do that iron some honor & put that sucker to use!
    -- Tim --

Soon Tim, Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hofstetter View Post
    Can't complain about that a bit! Now do that iron some honor & put that sucker to use!
    I have a few saws that need some TLC I rescued a small Disston D8 this summer that had this wonderful painting on it. A cute little country scene. The etch was obvious on the other side and the medalion was clear. The woman had no idea what I was talking about when I showed her the nice Disston etch. I got it for $4. I scraped all the paint off and cleaned and sharpened it and it is a sweet user ! Guess I should have taken some pictures. Gotta watch for those hidden gems
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND

Wondering if hand saws are as dangerous as planes when it comes to budgets...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    I have a few saws that need some TLC I rescued a small Disston D8 this summer that had this wonderful painting on it. A cute little country scene. The etch was obvious on the other side and the medalion was clear. The woman had no idea what I was talking about when I showed her the nice Disston etch. I got it for $4. I scraped all the paint off and cleaned and sharpened it and it is a sweet user ! Guess I should have taken some pictures. Gotta watch for those hidden gems
    Don, PLEASE tell me that wasn't a THUMBHOLE D8! I'd cry if you got a thumbhole D8 for that kinda' money! I want one o' them... heck, I want TWELVe o' them...
    -- Tim --

Don,
    i've got one just like that. A little electrolysis bath and some fresh paint - works perfectly. Nice get.
    paulh

Nice one Don. Man you must have a ton of patience to remedy saws. I will stick to planes for the moment.
    cheers

My hand saws stay sharp because I can't cut more than a half inch without veering off the line. So I just hang them back up.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Excellent Don, enjoy the filing.