pen box? anyone have plans for a simple wooden box, really simple?

Pen box

I clamped to my router table fence a stop before the core bit and one after the router bit to cut a groove longer than the length of the pen; in a flat pc. of wood. Made matching cut in another one for the top. I haven't hinged them yet, so I am interested in ideas on how to do this. I'm thinking that offset flanges with a small hole through them to put small metal pin into might work.

Jim Evatt

I clamped to my router table fence a stop before the core bit and one after the router bit to cut a groove longer than the length of the pen; in a flat pc. of wood. Made matching cut in another one for the top. I haven't hinged them yet, so I am interested in ideas on how to do this. I'm thinking that offset flanges with a small hole through them to put small metal pin into might work.

Jim Evatt
These would work for you.
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p=46693&cat=3,41241

Order the Nickel ones, the brass ones are too short.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This one's as simple as they get. 5/8" material top & bottom, 2 1/4" X 6" long, side material is 1/4" th.

Requires a 1/2 roundover on the backsides of the top and bottom to allow the hinges to work!

simple but elegant.

Ive been doing a bit of work with mahogany/sapele and spanish cedar this past week. spinning huge chunks, 6-8 inches thick.
I was eating dinner last night my wife said, why is the hair missing from a patch at the end of your arm?

the spinning of all the mahogany,(it burns like hec, something IM sure everyone here knows), but I keep going until I smell flesh burning, b ut it cinged all the hair off my left arm near the hand where I hold the chisel.(I cant hold the end with just my fingers anymore, so wrap my hand around it when Im roughing a big piece)
Its a bit funny, just a patch of hair completely burned off.