Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very first attempts

Very first attempts

Ok no laughing. I was playing around last night on the new lathe kneeling on the floor. Made an egg as it was something that I have always wanted to do. My son came over today and gave me a hand lifting the lathe up on saw horses. I immediatly thought "Well you just can't have an egg without an egg cup" so off I went with the left over stock from the egg. and made this. It was my first attempt at hollowing out stock and I was forced to do it with very limited tools. Honest opinions and critisisms welcome. Yea I have heard all the egg jokes from my kids already. Oh and Stu yes you were right it is much easier when it is on saw horses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails egg cup 002.JPG   egg cup 001.JPG   egg & holder 005.JPG  
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Hey Drew, that egg looks a little hard boiled I am not a turner but if you managed to do that with a lathe on the ground and you on your knees, I think great things will come when it is set up properly

Drew, it is hard to believe that is your first attempt. The egg and cup is outstanding!

Nice job!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Those look great for your first. Egg looks really nice.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very 1st attempts

Hey lookin good there

Ditto on all the previous comments. I think you've been secretly practicing for months. Nobody turns that nice of work on their first two pieces.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Drew, that looks great, and now we all know the Egg came first
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks for all the positive comments. I can honestly say that I am hooked. This reminds me of high school and that was 30 yrs ago ( wow reality check just hit me). Of course we didn't turn bowls back then just spindles and no live centers or chucks. I do have to take some time and learn how to sharpen the tools now. Things have changed lots in 30 yrs.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Drew, sharpening is a very big part of having a good time turning. I find that nearly every time I'm having trouble on the lathe, my tool is dull and I've neglected to sharpen it

Get a good easy system set up and use it, often.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward