Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosewood?

Trinity County - 160 miles north of San Francisco. Redwood forest.

Rosewood?

The local hardwood dealer answered my question about using Ebony or Cocobola to make some little push-up bench stops and saw stops on the workbench I'm constructing.

He didn't have the Cocobola, but he said that Rosewood is denser and stronger than either. And he has Rosewood in stock.

Is that a denser or harder wood? And I thought it was an endangered product, anyway. I should have asked him if his stock is the old fashioned Indian Rosewood, or some lame variety from the Galapogos Islands or some other weird place.

Gary Curtis
    Last edited by gary curtis; 01-18-2007 at 02:19 AM.

ROSEWOOD

Make that spelling ROSEWOOD.

GARY

There are a lot of hard-hardwoods that would work. And there are tons of woods that are classed as 'rosewoods'. Shop around. Hard rock maple might work fine, there are 200 year old tools still going strong made with maple. Lignum vitae is hard-hard and self-lubricating. How big of pieces do you need?

Rosewood

For the bench stops, probably a few at 2"x3"x1/2. For the saw stops, I think 1"x1"x4". Something that could be categorized as "self-lubricating" would be nice. But this stuff will get hammered.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Most of the Rosewoods other than Cocobolo are probably better for this purpose. Less brittle on the edges. Still, I think they too are too brittle. If I wanted a good hard wood with self lubricating properties, I would probably pick Verawood, a Lignum Vitae relative. Else I would use Ipe.

But...I would simply use hard Maple. Easily replaceable and inexpensive. But if the qualities of the exotics are what you want, even Bubinga would work very well in addition to the above list.

Take care, Mike
    Wenzloff & Sons Sawmakers

Rosewood

It sounds like it's high time I buy that book by Bruce Hoadley on wood. Been so busy outfitting my shop I've spent scant time on subjects dealing with materials. My ignorance is showing here.

The bench stops would protrude perhaps 3/4 of an inch from the top and simply be called upon to slide up and down in a hole and then hold wood being planed.

The saw stop would rotate on the side of the bench and serve is a small fence to hold pieces being cut off. I put a lot of effort into the whole bench, so some exotic touches would be fitting. The top is 2" Nordic Beech. The legs and trestles are Western Maple (4x4). The aprons, side battens and vise faces are Eastern Hardrock Maple (sugar). Total weight with the vises will be about 300 lbs.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gary curtis View Post
    Make that spelling ROSEWOOD.

GARY
    Gary, you can fix the spelling in the title is you want to. Click the 'Edit' button in your initial post, then click 'Go Advanced'. You'll see a field for editing the thread title.

I'd be glad to do it for you, but you know the saying...give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day -- teach a man to fish, and you won't have to give him any of yours. (Or something like that.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Rosewood why ?

I agree with Mike , there are dozens of woods better than Rosewood for your use and his choices are good. Also thick Purpleheart or Bloodwood are cheap and good.

Quote Originally Posted by gary curtis View Post
    It sounds like it's high time I buy that book by Bruce Hoadley on wood. Been so busy outfitting my shop I've spent scant time on subjects dealing with materials. My ignorance is showing here.

The bench stops would protrude perhaps 3/4 of an inch from the top and simply be called upon to slide up and down in a hole and then hold wood being planed.

The saw stop would rotate on the side of the bench and serve is a small fence to hold pieces being cut off. I put a lot of effort into the whole bench, so some exotic touches would be fitting. The top is 2" Nordic Beech. The legs and trestles are Western Maple (4x4). The aprons, side battens and vise faces are Eastern Hardrock Maple (sugar). Total weight with the vises will be about 300 lbs.

Gary

Gary, if exotic is what you want, then go for it. But, as mentioned, there are domestics that are doggone hard and durable. Hard rock maple, desert ironwood are a couple. I would probably choose Osage Orange. For two reasons, I have a good stock on hand and, the older it gets, the harder it gets. My shop mallet is OO and it will dent anything short of cast iron.

FYI, Cocobolo is a Rosewood.
    -------------------------

Dario

http://www.aoturnings.com/