Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guess how long this took.

Guess how long this took.

I hate building these. I don't do them often enough to get good at it, so I spend a bulk of my time bashing my head against the wall trying to make all of the angles work out. Not including the finishing, (cause I don't do that), I've got about 20hrs in it.

I hadn't done a curved raised panel like that in a long time either. Forgot how terrifying those little fella's are going through the panel raiser.

That looks fantastic! I can't believe you only have 20 hours in it!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Looks fantastic, that will really liven up someone's kitchen

Twenty hours is a lot of work, but boy, I'd spend that much time just trying to figure it out!

Pics of the installation would be great!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Twenty hours is a lot of work, but boy, I'd spend that much time just trying to figure it out!

Pics of the installation would be great!
    No joke, at least 5 hours of that 20 is scratching my head. I ended up building a model of it so I could measure all of the legs. I couldn't wrap my head around getting all of the lengths.

It goes with a kitchen, Laundry, and master bath remodel that I should be installing Wensday, so I should have pics by the end of the week.

Shop full of cabinets:

Hmmm,

I think we need to create some conversions here.

Obviously 1 KB hour = 5 BD hours....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Great work Karl! What kind of wood is it? Maple?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    Forgot how terrifying those little fella's are going through the panel raiser.
    Boy, I GUESS - especially the one that goes UPGRAIN into the cutter!

I do hope you're temporarily attaching those to a larger board to give 'em some inertia & not getting your fingers that close to big spinning carbide... not even taking into consideration the fact that on the 2nd edge there's nearly no support left.
    -- Tim --

May have taken some major head-scratching, but it sure came out looking nice. I'm looking forward to seeing the whole installation.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I know that I would still be head scratching and not working...

Magnificent work!!

paul
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hofstetter View Post
    Boy, I GUESS - especially the one that goes UPGRAIN into the cutter!

I do hope you're temporarily attaching those to a larger board to give 'em some inertia & not getting your fingers that close to big spinning carbide... not even taking into consideration the fact that on the 2nd edge there's nearly no support left.
    I did all four sides while they were still square. The end grain I used a T-square. Going with the grain isn't too bad and I just did that by pushing it through. I've got a really sweet insert cutter head that the cutters do not stick past the edge of. I'd still get mauled by the three bolts on the edge, but nothing like getting butchered by the actual cutters.

After all four edges have been run, I mark out the backside with a template that I make off of just marking once the frame is loosely assembled, and adding whatever I need to make it go into the groove.

I did screw it to a piece of 1/2" baltic birch to cut the cove on the curved portion though. First one I ran through by hand........ correction, tried to run through by hand. It exploded. Not really but it dug in and wasn't usable. Actually, I think I made 5 of those panels. The next two came out perfect, but there was very little panel left, so I had to recut them and make them larger than what was actually needed, then trim a 1/4" off of each edge so there was something left of the raised part.