Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Brass Hammer..... DIY

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tokyo Japan
    Posts
    15,807

    Brass Hammer..... DIY

    While doing the plane restoration, I wanted/needed a small brass hammer, this is to cut the tape that I use to mask the parts of the plane off that I don't want to paint. You put the tape over the edge (sharp edge) of the steel, then you tap, lightly, with a brass hammer on the edge and it cuts the tape, this is a real time saver.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brass_hammer1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	38875
    I have a small steel hammer, but I did not think this was the right way to do the job, steel on steel, might be OK, but with my luck I'd damage something.

    I then set about to make a small brass hammer.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brass_hammer2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	38876
    I had a big brass punch as a donor for the brass head....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brass_hammer3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	38877
    I set at it with my "Powered Hacksaw" to cut off a piece of the punch, worked slick!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brass_hammer4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	38878Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brass_hammer5.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	38879
    I chucked it up in the lathe and turned the ends nice and smooth, one flat, one slightly peened.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brass_hammer6.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	38880
    I drilled and tapped a hole in the hammer head, and then fit a bolt as the handle....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brass_hammer7.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	38881
    I'll turn a wooden handle at some point, but for today, it worked wonderfully!

    Took about 20 minutes I guess.

    Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oak Harbor Washington on Whidbey Island
    Posts
    3,134
    Necessity+ a Canadian= an invention

    Even better you got to slap something on the spinny thing.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North West Indiana
    Posts
    6,098
    That was a bit of ingenuity to say the least! I will never look at a brass rod the same way again! So, when you get ready to turn the wooden handle, planning on keeping the bolt down the center for strength and turn a wooden handle and drill it and glue it on the bolt much like a pen blank on a tube?
    Jon

    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

    Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    13,360
    Knice Knurling!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    GTA Ontario Canada
    Posts
    12,251
    Hey in South Africa we had a saying "Boer maak a plan" which many farmers here will understand when i translate it .

    Translation = " Farmers make a plan"

    The one beautiful thing about farming is you are often so far from retail that ingenuity used to solve problems comes to the fore.

    I have to say to you Stu, since you re awakened my spirit of ingenuity to make rather than by I feel like a whole new man.

    I fell into the trap coming to Canada and seeing all the retail and retail options (heck one visit to LV is all it took) of buying tools rather than making up something yourself. Some of the well engineered beautiful looking machined pieces in that LV show case defeat you before you start since they kinda set a benchmark.

    But there is no greater reward to me than making your own once you rediscover your spitit in this regard.

    I made Mike Hendersons from his tutorial and i even made another and gave it to a friend that does work on cars. Real rewarding.

    Wish i could send you a piece of ash. Somehow that steel handle dont quiet fit.

    Thanks for the post it keeps the spirit alive.
    cheers

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Amherst, New Hampshire
    Posts
    10,604
    That's really cool Stu. I love doing stuff like that.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Salt Spring Island, BC Canada
    Posts
    2,070
    Stu isn't turning something like that hard on the lathe tools? Looking good. Never thought of using the lathe for something like that.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tokyo Japan
    Posts
    15,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Necessity+ a Canadian= an invention

    Even better you got to slap something on the spinny thing.
    It is ALWAYS a better day when I get to play on the lathe!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    That was a bit of ingenuity to say the least! I will never look at a brass rod the same way again! So, when you get ready to turn the wooden handle, planning on keeping the bolt down the center for strength and turn a wooden handle and drill it and glue it on the bolt much like a pen blank on a tube?
    The wooden handle will have a copper ferrel on it to keep it from cracking (and cause they look nice) and will go about halfway up the metal handle, so the tool will end up a little longer, but not much, if that makes sense

    Don't worry, I'll post some pics when I do it

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Knice Knurling!
    Yeah, I thought so too, I could have used the plan end............. NOT!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Hey in South Africa we had a saying "Boer maak a plan" which many farmers here will understand when i translate it .

    Translation = " Farmers make a plan"

    The one beautiful thing about farming is you are often so far from retail that ingenuity used to solve problems comes to the fore.

    I have to say to you Stu, since you re awakened my spirit of ingenuity to make rather than by I feel like a whole new man.

    I fell into the trap coming to Canada and seeing all the retail and retail options (heck one visit to LV is all it took) of buying tools rather than making up something yourself. Some of the well engineered beautiful looking machined pieces in that LV show case defeat you before you start since they kinda set a benchmark.

    But there is no greater reward to me than making your own once you rediscover your spitit in this regard.

    I made Mike Hendersons from his tutorial and i even made another and gave it to a friend that does work on cars. Real rewarding.

    Wish i could send you a piece of ash. Somehow that steel handle dont quiet fit.

    Thanks for the post it keeps the spirit alive.
    Thanks Rob, and I really do understand what you mean, it is very nice to buy a well made quality tool, but for me, there is something special about making a decent tool as well.

    The steel handle will get a wooden extension soon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    That's really cool Stu. I love doing stuff like that.
    Me too Bob, it really is fun!

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    Stu isn't turning something like that hard on the lathe tools? Looking good. Never thought of using the lathe for something like that.
    Not at all, I just used a scraper, and the M2 lathe tool steel is a LOT harder than the brass, or even cold rolled steel. You will have to sharpen a lot more often than with wood, but it does really work well.

    Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Similar Threads

  1. small brass hammer collaboration
    By John Daugherty in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-27-2015, 11:02 PM
  2. Brass 7mm
    By Les Elm in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2009, 02:51 AM
  3. My Small Brass Hammer courtesy of Mike Henderson
    By Rob Keeble in forum New Tools
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 08:33 PM
  4. Gluing brass to brass
    By Larry Browning in forum General Woodworking Q&A
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2008, 12:33 AM
  5. Brass
    By Wes Bischel in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 12:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •