Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ash lumber, Update

Ash lumber, Update

What can Ash be used for? I know baseball bats, but what else? I found a local sawmill that will cut what I bring for 25 cent Bf. I just don't know what to do with this tree. Not sure if it is big enough, either.
    Last edited by Steve Southwood; 11-10-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Well Steve, can't tell about the tree without a picture. My personal opinion, when I got some sheds that were good for wood storage and I got what I thought were fantastic deals on wood, regardless of species, I bought, stickered and put away wood. Better than money in the bank for me. I have used the cheap 2x6,8,10,etc pine for my shop build among other things. Building a good working relationship with a sawyer, priceless. I'd go for it just for the experience, you might find he is a hack and now you know without it being from a priceless figured walnut log. Plus, it is just cool to hang out around a sawmill!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

ash lumber is fine stuff for many things, and at 25 cent a bf is fair price.. look up glenn bradlys ash tables for some idea of what ash can turn into, or yu can see ash in my drawers on my blotchy cherry box i made awhile back..its not junk wood at all i like usung it for drawers and other things..its touchy on the staining though.. it acts some what like oak.. but is much harder..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Butte Montana which is 1/2 way between Purgatory and Heaven

Ash Lumber

I call Ash the Poor Mans Oak - much cheaper than Oak, harder than Oak, machines and finishes as good as Oak if not better.

Last Christmas I made several wine racks out of Oak and some out of Ash. They were all finished with Watco Golden Oak and buffed using Bries Wax. You had to really look at them to determine which were Oak or Ash. The
    "non woodworker" would have a difficult time in doing so. The grain in Ash I think is a tighter grain than Oak.

Also Ash, like Oak will have boards that will vary some in color in the natural state. I selected the darker boards for the wine racks.

Jiggs Elphison

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggs Elphison View Post
    I call Ash the Poor Mans Oak - much cheaper than Oak, harder than Oak, machines and finishes as good as Oak if not better.

Last Christmas I made several wine racks out of Oak and some out of Ash. They were all finished with Watco Golden Oak and buffed using Bries Wax. You had to really look at them to determine which were Oak or Ash. The
    "non woodworker" would have a difficult time in doing so. The grain in Ash I think is a tighter grain than Oak.

Also Ash, like Oak will have boards that will vary some in color in the natural state. I selected the darker boards for the wine racks.

Jiggs Elphison

hey jiggs show steve some pics if yu have them
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Steve, I have used ash to build a dining room table, a woodbox for my son and a number of cutting boards. I think it is great. (here are some PICs) I wish I culd get it that cheap. If it were me and the size is right I would buy as much as possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0691.jpg   IMG_0697.jpg   IMG_1056.jpg   IMG_1058.jpg   IMG_1119.jpg  

IMG_1120.jpg  
    Bruce

Go for it. I just purchase some ash at C$2.50 per bd ft. to play around with. So at $0.25 I would not hesistate. And for the chance to play around at a sawmill heck i would pay $1.00 per BD ft or more.

Its a hard wood. Used some for handles good for taking a beating. Going to use the stuff i just bought for some of my workbench trim.

Pieces i got are a bit of a beast. They were rough sawn no problem but i am totally a novice at reading the grain. Oh boy i have grain going in opposite directions on the same face of my boards. All flat sawn.

Tear our tear out tear out. If its not one end, its the other. Light cuts is what i do on the jointer and planer.

Luckily for my application i am not too concerned by the tearout. I battle with reading a rough board.

Next time i go to timber joint aint going without my blockplan and sharpened and will pick a time when the guy is quiet and will spend some time with me and educate me.

Buying cheap is one thing but cheap aint cheap if you have my experience with it. Great to learn but i dont want to be doing it each time.

Oh and i selected through the whole pile patiently so i messed up. Lack of knowledge and practice.
    cheers

Sweet. I think I will keep it. Usually around here, ash is for wood stoves. Will be another month or so, until I can get these trees dropped. Got to heal up good first.

I love ash...it can be prettier than oak IMO and is often less expensive. It's fairly light by nature but it's takes stain nicely, and you can get the grain to pop nicely. The grain patterns on ash tend to be more free flowing than oak. It's stable, machines well, and can be used for all kinds of furniture applications. Our dining room table and chairs are ash that's stained a rich auburn brown, and we love it.
    Got Wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    And for the chance to play around at a sawmill heck i would pay $1.00 per BD ft or more.
    Note to self: Buy sawmill, and charge people to hang out around it.