Ash lumber, Update

What can Ash be used for? I know baseball bats, but what else? I found a local sawmill that will cut what I bring for 25 cent Bf. I just don't know what to do with this tree. Not sure if it is big enough, either.

Last edited:
Well Steve, can't tell about the tree without a picture. My personal opinion, when I got some sheds that were good for wood storage and I got what I thought were fantastic deals on wood, regardless of species, I bought, stickered and put away wood. Better than money in the bank for me. I have used the cheap 2x6,8,10,etc pine for my shop build among other things. Building a good working relationship with a sawyer, priceless. I'd go for it just for the experience, you might find he is a hack and now you know without it being from a priceless figured walnut log. Plus, it is just cool to hang out around a sawmill!

ash lumber is fine stuff for many things, and at 25 cent a bf is fair price.. look up glenn bradlys ash tables for some idea of what ash can turn into, or yu can see ash in my drawers on my blotchy cherry box i made awhile back..its not junk wood at all i like usung it for drawers and other things..its touchy on the staining though.. it acts some what like oak.. but is much harder..

Ash Lumber

I call Ash the Poor Mans Oak - much cheaper than Oak, harder than Oak, machines and finishes as good as Oak if not better.

Last Christmas I made several wine racks out of Oak and some out of Ash. They were all finished with Watco Golden Oak and buffed using Bries Wax. You had to really look at them to determine which were Oak or Ash. The
"non woodworker" would have a difficult time in doing so. The grain in Ash I think is a tighter grain than Oak.

Also Ash, like Oak will have boards that will vary some in color in the natural state. I selected the darker boards for the wine racks.

Jiggs Elphison

I call Ash the Poor Mans Oak - much cheaper than Oak, harder than Oak, machines and finishes as good as Oak if not better.

Last Christmas I made several wine racks out of Oak and some out of Ash. They were all finished with Watco Golden Oak and buffed using Bries Wax. You had to really look at them to determine which were Oak or Ash. The
"non woodworker" would have a difficult time in doing so. The grain in Ash I think is a tighter grain than Oak.

Also Ash, like Oak will have boards that will vary some in color in the natural state. I selected the darker boards for the wine racks.

Jiggs Elphison

hey jiggs show steve some pics if yu have them

Steve, I have used ash to build a dining room table, a woodbox for my son and a number of cutting boards. I think it is great. (here are some PICs) I wish I culd get it that cheap. If it were me and the size is right I would buy as much as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1056.jpg
    IMG_1056.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1058.jpg
    IMG_1058.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 51
Go for it. I just purchase some ash at C$2.50 per bd ft. to play around with. So at $0.25 I would not hesistate. And for the chance to play around at a sawmill heck i would pay $1.00 per BD ft or more.

Its a hard wood. Used some for handles good for taking a beating. Going to use the stuff i just bought for some of my workbench trim.

Pieces i got are a bit of a beast. They were rough sawn no problem but i am totally a novice at reading the grain. Oh boy i have grain going in opposite directions on the same face of my boards. All flat sawn.

Tear our tear out tear out. If its not one end, its the other. Light cuts is what i do on the jointer and planer.

Luckily for my application i am not too concerned by the tearout. I battle with reading a rough board.

Next time i go to timber joint aint going without my blockplan and sharpened and will pick a time when the guy is quiet and will spend some time with me and educate me.

Buying cheap is one thing but cheap aint cheap if you have my experience with it. Great to learn but i dont want to be doing it each time.

Oh and i selected through the whole pile patiently so i messed up. Lack of knowledge and practice.:eek:

Sweet. I think I will keep it. Usually around here, ash is for wood stoves. Will be another month or so, until I can get these trees dropped. Got to heal up good first.

I love ash...it can be prettier than oak IMO and is often less expensive. It's fairly light by nature but it's takes stain nicely, and you can get the grain to pop nicely. The grain patterns on ash tend to be more free flowing than oak. It's stable, machines well, and can be used for all kinds of furniture applications. Our dining room table and chairs are ash that's stained a rich auburn brown, and we love it.

What can Ash be used for?
Hi Steve; Hopefully these will answer your question!

attachment.php

attachment.php

A couple of Blanket Boxes for 2 Grand-daughter sisters made from White Ash with Honey Locust raised panels.

Probably surprised a couple of guys that thought all I could do was turn pens!

Ok went and checked out the trees in question. 3 Ash, 2 are fire wood for sure, bugs have got to them. The other is 24" at base and can get 2- 8 footers for sure, unless find something. There is also a nice big Pecan that must be removed as well. I measures around 28" and can get probably 2- 10 footers. Will know more when on the ground.

John, I know about the bug. Not sure if we are in the quarantined area or not. The wood will not be leaving my county, until something could be built. I also know it must be kiln dried to be moved across state lines. That would be in a fire wood or lumber state. I am planning on checking with the mill and the local forest office before I do anything with the Ash.

Ask Steve...Ash that is..:D:rofl:

I would steer clear of Ash.....they ain't nuthin but trouble.....

Oh, you mean the wood and not the family....:rofl:

I have built two sets of kitchen cabinets using the wood ash, a hope chest and a what not box for my wife. I can't offer anymore insight to it than what has already been said, other than since my last name is Ash I put a piece of ash (the wood) in everything I build. I even had some laser engraved medallions with my name in it made out of Ash to put in an inconspicuous place on all my work.