Last night’s smoked Prime Rib was great!

Chuck Rodekohr

In Memorium
They closed the “Whats on tap for this Weekend” thread. I guess it got too political. But here is the results of last night’s Prime Rib BBQ.

The crust was a perfect blend of spices and herbs, It was accompanied by baby red potatoes and green beans, tossed in EVOO and a little garlic powder, and roasted in the oven.

First picture, Prime Rib packed in herbs and spices.

Second picture, coming off the BBQ.

Third picture, plated and ready to eat. mmMMM –mmMMM-MMMmm.

Attachments

• 7 Nov 09 3.JPG
    7 Nov 09 3.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 40
Very nice....

Need to get my smoker fired up again one of these days. Bought a big ole gas grill at costco last year and my charcoal fired bbq's have been feeling neglected...

I can’t go without my outdoor cookin’. I’ve had my Weber Bullets (an 18” and 22”) for a year now and have had 24 smokes on them, averaging two a month. I also have a Weber Genesis gasser that I use 3-5 times a week. I just started baking my homemade pizzas on the gasser. I put the pizza stone on some bricks and crank it up to max for an hour. Stone temp got up to 680º. Baked the pizzas for five minutes which melted the cheese and shrunk the mushrooms, and baked the crust dark and crispy on the bottom and very flavorful inside. I’m going to throw on some smoke wood next time.

Chuck, I am right there with you on the pizzas on the grill. I've got a nice big pizza stone and it's perfect on the grill. You can really heat that puppy up.

My favorite kind of homemade pizza is to make a nice thin crispy crust with those big round pieces of pepperoni you get at the deli. Simple and good!

I've whittle down my grill collection to just the gas grill, a 22" weber, and a big long heavy duty grill called the 'Guadalupe'. I welded up a firebox that I attach to the side and filled up the area where you would put the coals with bricks to hold the heat. I used to use that for smoking things, but I ran out of good hardwood to do the smoking with. I figure when I get the fireplace running at this house, I'll go and get a couple of truckloads of orchard wood from California.

My favorite way to do turkeys anymore is on the weber. Can do up to around a 14# I think on it and it turns out great.

That looks perfect Chuck:thumb: nice and pink on the inside and a good crust on the out, man your making me hungry:p:D EVOO? I see you are a Rachel Ray fan also:thumb:
Brent I do 22 - 24# turkeys on my 22" weber all the time, been doing 2 or 3 of them every year on the weber for around 28 years, they don't get any better in my opinion:thumb::D And my favorite smoking wood, and I use it on everything, steak, burgers, chicken, pork, etc is alder (aw man, just gave out my secret:eek::D:thumb:)

Sheesh! You're making me hungry!!!

I've got a couple of ribeyes marinating for us to have for dinner. Maybe I'll be able to wait!

I love to do turkeys, Boston butt, ribs and whatever else comes to mind on my New Braunfels smoker. It's been around a few years but is still holding together. I'll do a turkey for Thanksgiving - a neighbor is hinting about doing one for them, so that'll help fill the smoker. I'm thinking about building my next smoker so I've started looking for plans. :rolleyes:

Brent I do 22 - 24# turkeys on my 22" weber all the time, been doing 2 or 3 of them every year on the weber for around 28 years, they don't get any better in my opinion:thumb::D And my favorite smoking wood, and I use it on everything, steak, burgers, chicken, pork, etc is alder (aw man, just gave out my secret:eek::D:thumb:)

:eek: I must be an underachiever! I don't think I'll ever use the oven for turkey again, actually. In fact, I don't think my wife would let me. I've tried turkeys a bunch of different ways, but the smokey flavor and crisp skin off of the weber just makes a no brainer. Add to the fact that you aren't using up all of that valuable oven space with a turkey!

Brent,

Don’t know how deep you get into California on your wood runs, but if you use lump and you get to the Bay Area, you might stop at Lazzari, 11 Industrial Way, Brisbane, CA (414-467-2970). You can get a 40 lb bag of Oak lump for $16 a bag. It’s real good lump, burns slow, little ash and no plywood in it. There is a little mesquite in it but that’s OK. I’m ready for another run to pick up three bags. I live in San Ramon in the East Bay, if you would care to stop by and say “Hi” if you are close.

We have real good friends in Reno that we visit often. I like to go the Reno Woodcraft because they have a different selection of blanks than my Dublin store, but they are closing the Reno store. Bummer. We went to the Best in the West Rib Cook-off for the first this year and had a great time. Some of the ribs were almost as good as mine. This will become a yearly tradition now.

I get to the bay area several times a year. I've used the Lazzari in the past and have liked it.

I'm bummed about the Reno Woodcraft closing. I just found out last week. There is a tool store in town (Apex) that stocks a bunch of the Rockler products, but I always enjoyed going to the WoodCraft.

Next time I get down there I'll have to look you up!

That looks scrumptious, Chuck. :thumb:

I highly recommend this forum:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/index.php

It's like a woodworking forum, but with meat, steel, and welders. Lots of good build ideas.

I second the advice. The Smoke Ring is an awesome forum to learn from. It's where I got the idea for my upright smoker, and the offset I'm going to be building this winter.

What internal temp did you take it to, 140deg? Prime Rib is on my list to smoke. Yours may make that date a lil' nearer, that looks darn good!!! Been doing Briskets, Pork Butts and Chickens like crazy tho... :thumb:

I don't pretend to know as much about smoking as any of you. But I did build a smoker out of an old refrigerator about 41 years ago at the ripe old age of 16. I removed all the plastic & cut a big hole in the bottom of the double bottom & removed all the insulation & drilled 3/8" holes all over the inside bottom & hole-sawed an 1 1/2" hole through the top for abs pipe smoke stack that friction fit & went out the garage window we attached a metal box no bottom hinged at the bottom back of the refer with a thermostatically controlled stove unit & a big old cast iron pot with soaked smoking chips. We had real good turkey, steaks, fish, bacon, roasts & cheese.

I don't pretend to know as much about smoking as any of you. But I did build a smoker out of an old refrigerator about 41 years ago at the ripe old age of 16. I removed all the plastic & cut a big hole in the bottom of the double bottom & removed all the insulation & drilled 3/8" holes all over the inside bottom & hole-sawed an 1 1/2" hole through the top for abs pipe smoke stack that friction fit & went out the garage window we attached a metal box no bottom hinged at the bottom back of the refer with a thermostatically controlled stove unit & a big old cast iron pot with soaked smoking chips. We had real good turkey, steaks, fish, bacon, roasts & cheese.

I have a strange feeling Alton Brown must have consulted you before for a couple of his shows....