Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new Sawhorses...

My new Sawhorses...

So, here's what I put together this weekend. A couple of sawhorses from issue #108 of shop notes magazine. I had seen a pair similar to this in FWW a while ago as well. I was tired of the wobbly splayed leg sawhorses I had and thought that these would give me a chance to practice some mortise and tenon joinery and end up with something useful.

With the cross pieces, It makes a nice solid platform for assembling things, and also can double as an outfeed table for my table saw. I made sure the height was just a smidgen lower than the height of my table saw with the cross pieces on it.

I just used cheap dimensional pine and doug fir from the Borg. Kind of a fun little project.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sawhorse1.jpg   sawhorse2.jpg  
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Very nice mate....I take it they don't come apart though.
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    So, here's what I put together this weekend. A couple of sawhorses from issue #108 of shop notes magazine. I had seen a pair similar to this in FWW a while ago as well. I was tired of the wobbly splayed leg sawhorses I had and thought that these would give me a chance to practice some mortise and tenon joinery and end up with something useful.

With the cross pieces, It makes a nice solid platform for assembling things, and also can double as an outfeed table for my table saw. I made sure the height was just a smidgen lower than the height of my table saw with the cross pieces on it.

I just used cheap dimensional pine and doug fir from the Borg. Kind of a fun little project.

Brent. nice looking horses,but they look to prutty to use

Quote Originally Posted by patrick anderson View Post
    Very nice mate....I take it they don't come apart though.
    If they do, then I'll have done something very wrong!

The top bars are removeable, they just have notches that fit on top of the horses quite snug.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Brent. nice looking horses,but they look to prutty to use
    Actually did them to do a little mortise and tenon practice, and to support a heavy table top I'm going to be working on pretty soon. Wanted something pretty stout.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I saw those also I guess I should make a set. I see you did the legs differant. Looks like you use 2x4's instead of the 4x4's in the article.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    I see you did the legs differant. Looks like you use 2x4's instead of the 4x4's in the article.
    Yeah, I happened to just be at home depot and remembered I wanted to build a set, so I picked up a couple of 4x4's and 2x4's. Didn't really refer to the plans before I bought the lumber. Got home and saw I didn't have enough of the 4x4's, so I changed it up a bit. They are still pretty stout, and oddly enough, a little bit lighter.

The bridle joint in the magazine looked a little easier to make, maybe, but I needed more practice with the M&T. That's my story and I'm sticking with it

good job brent! throw a bit of plywood on top, with a cloth, and you've got a table for the in-laws....
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Those are SWEET!!!! I know all about wobbly ole sawhorses. Just left the old pair out by the woods yesterday after using them to hold a top to sight in the scopes on some guns. You made a nice pair of "saw horses".
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    I know all about wobbly ole sawhorses. Just left the old pair out by the woods yesterday after using them to hold a top to sight in the scopes on some guns.
    I've got a few sets of the wobbly's around. I've even got one wobbly I take out to the desert to use for sighting in things