My new Sawhorses...

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, here's what I put together this weekend. A couple of sawhorses from issue #108 of shop notes magazine. I had seen a pair similar to this in FWW a while ago as well. I was tired of the wobbly splayed leg sawhorses I had and thought that these would give me a chance to practice some mortise and tenon joinery and end up with something useful.

With the cross pieces, It makes a nice solid platform for assembling things, and also can double as an outfeed table for my table saw. I made sure the height was just a smidgen lower than the height of my table saw with the cross pieces on it.

I just used cheap dimensional pine and doug fir from the Borg. Kind of a fun little project.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• sawhorse1.jpg
    sawhorse1.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 254
  • sawhorse2.jpg
    sawhorse2.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 251
So, here's what I put together this weekend. A couple of sawhorses from issue #108 of shop notes magazine. I had seen a pair similar to this in FWW a while ago as well. I was tired of the wobbly splayed leg sawhorses I had and thought that these would give me a chance to practice some mortise and tenon joinery and end up with something useful.

With the cross pieces, It makes a nice solid platform for assembling things, and also can double as an outfeed table for my table saw. I made sure the height was just a smidgen lower than the height of my table saw with the cross pieces on it.

I just used cheap dimensional pine and doug fir from the Borg. Kind of a fun little project.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Brent. nice looking horses,but they look to prutty to use:D

I see you did the legs differant. Looks like you use 2x4's instead of the 4x4's in the article.

Yeah, I happened to just be at home depot and remembered I wanted to build a set, so I picked up a couple of 4x4's and 2x4's. Didn't really refer to the plans before I bought the lumber. Got home and saw I didn't have enough of the 4x4's, so I changed it up a bit. They are still pretty stout, and oddly enough, a little bit lighter.

The bridle joint in the magazine looked a little easier to make, maybe, but I needed more practice with the M&T. That's my story and I'm sticking with it :rofl:

Those are SWEET!!!! I know all about wobbly ole sawhorses. Just left the old pair out by the woods yesterday after using them to hold a top to sight in the scopes on some guns. You made a nice pair of "saw horses".

I know all about wobbly ole sawhorses. Just left the old pair out by the woods yesterday after using them to hold a top to sight in the scopes on some guns.

I've got a few sets of the wobbly's around. I've even got one wobbly I take out to the desert to use for sighting in things :D:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I would agree they're so nice I wouldn't want to use them. As for practice - I think you're ready for the real thing now!:D

Wes

Wow they look real neat Brent. I first thought what :eek: Maple saw horses. Then i see you explained they are Borg lumber. Well you got a good borg by the looks of it.:thumb:

Isnt it great satisfaction doing something like that. I find its easier when the wood is less expensive, less afraid to mess it up.:)

Looks good Brent. Wish I had room for a set of those bad boys. They look good and will work great for a set up table when working on a large project:thumb:

Thanks but they are Just pine boards! Probably about 20$ worth?

They'll get stored the way the rest of the sawhorses do when not in use, Outside! :thumb:

(Ok, I might put them a little out of the rain and snow...)

Brent,

Nice job. I am planning on making a set of these over the next few weeks - on the days that I don't deer hunt. The plan doesn't say what wood to use, but I was thinking pine or spruce. I hadnt thought about Douglas fir.

I didn't really make any decisions on the wood, just used whatever 4x4's the borg had, and the 2x4's I had laying around.

I'd say use whatever feels best for you and is cost effective! :thumb: