Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: is it age?

is it age?

i was talking with some friends this week and a question was brought up, i did have some to do with it but i had others input as well so i am not writing this for my notirighty just voicing a question? back when i first looked at the forum world, i stoped in to one and asked a question and got absolty no response for over two weeks ,,dropped into anopther asked same question got answer within a day. said to myself this is where i need to visit and learn then it got bigger and bigger and now its not the same as it was then in no way no how, still drop in to check on the latest but have since found a new one to learn and contribuite to.. but my question is is this the eveltution process they get bigger and then become unfreindl;y and unwilling to answr? is there a cure for this disease or can we take somehting for it so it doesnt happern here?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry

I HOPE that as we grow we can continue to keep the friendly environment we have created so far. But I think that this depends on all of us maintaining a civil tone when we have the inevitable differences of opinions. I think that if we differ with a point of view, we should keep our comments directed to the opinion, not the person who expressed it.

Personally I think the "founding 10" (do I have the number correct?) have done a great job setting us on a positive path. It is up to us to follow that example and to "gently" remind each other "to behave" if a specific thread gets hostile.

At SMC I read some posts that got crazy and didn't do anything about it. When I joined here I resolved that I will speak up, first in a PM and if that doesn't work then in the thread and to the moderators if I think that someone is being, for lack of a better term, a jerk. I value differences in opinion, but I don't respect someone who gets off on putting others down. So far, we've done real well here; I am sure we all want this to be a better kind of forum and will pull together to reach that goal.

Thanks for your post, it is good to be looking a bit down the road to avoid an unseen pothole.

Jay

It is going to be real interesting to see what happens here. This is the first foum that I have watched from almost the beginning. I don't know if it is possible to control when it reaches a certain size or not. I guess that if it is possible this bunch will be able to do it.

I've watched a lot of discussion boards go through their entire life cycles, and yes, many of those fell apart for various reasons. But until now, I had never seen a discussion group start out with the mission to be civilized. That aspect of group organization is usually not given much thought on startup. But since that is one of our clearly stated goals, we have the advantage of being more vigilant over what kinds of behavior will be acceptable. If any group can keep it within those bounds, it would be us.

Cheers,

Kevin

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    as one of the original dirty dozen (give or take a few) all I know is that we tried to start something that was an open and free woodworking forum run by the members. We have tried to lay out a foundation that the members can build upon. Unlike other forums this one is run by the members and since we have such a diverse group that is scattered geographically so I doubt that there will ever be a group that will be able to totally dominate the mindset of the forum. At least I hope not. Soon we will be having elections as to who will take over running this forum. It will be up to the members to determine who will continue to set the direction of this forum.
    There are a few things left to be done to done before this can take place and I can tell you that we are working behind the scenes to make this happen. I can only hope that as the membership grows we will see that the folks who run this things continue in the spirit that was shown by the "founding fathers".
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Knoll View Post
    Larry

I HOPE that as we grow we can continue to keep the friendly environment we have created so far. But I think that this depends on all of us maintaining a civil tone when we have the inevitable differences of opinions. I think that if we differ with a point of view, we should keep our comments directed to the opinion, not the person who expressed it.

Personally I think the "founding 10" (do I have the number correct?) have done a great job setting us on a positive path. It is up to us to follow that example and to "gently" remind each other "to behave" if a specific thread gets hostile.

At SMC I read some posts that got crazy and didn't do anything about it. When I joined here I resolved that I will speak up, first in a PM and if that doesn't work then in the thread and to the moderators if I think that someone is being, for lack of a better term, a jerk. I value differences in opinion, but I don't respect someone who gets off on putting others down. So far, we've done real well here; I am sure we all want this to be a better kind of forum and will pull together to reach that goal.

Thanks for your post, it is good to be looking a bit down the road to avoid an unseen pothole.

Jay
    It'll be interesting to see how things go, Jay. I have also turned a blind eye to to bullying in other places. It's very difficult to tell an adult that he's behaving like a spoiled kid.

There is a pecking order wherever you go. It's either the "we were here first" crowd or the "I have 10,000 posts and a crew of toadies to back me up". They can be intimidating to deal with, especially since they stick to the letter, if not the spirit of the law. Actually, I can think of other 'types' as well - we've all seen them.

It's all about egos, unfortunately and everybody has one. I think the best we can do is try to set a good example as we grow. If we remember to park our own egos at the door we might send a message to newcomers to keep it friendly and nice.

I don't see anything wrong with sending someone a message to ask him to "cool it". I can't see myself doing it, but if it's handled well it could be very effective.

I'd like to see whether the mods think this would be desirable or if they would rather see things "go through channels".
    Last edited by Ian Gillis; 01-18-2007 at 01:32 PM. Reason: for clarity
    All the best,
    Ian G

**Now holding auditions for a catchy new signature**

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gillis View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with someone a message to ask him to "cool it". I can't see myself doing it, but if it's handled well it could be very effective.

I'd like to see whether the mods think this would be desirable or if they would rather see things "go through channels".
    Ian,
    I for one think that the members can be the best mods, but what the heck it's easy for me to say since I am only a temp mod until "you guys find someone better or until I'm dead", which ever comes first. (to paraphrase a movie).
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Ian,
    I for one think that the members can be the best mods, but what the heck it's easy for me to say since I am only a temp mod until "you guys find someone better or until I'm dead", which ever comes first. (to paraphrase a movie).
    Could take a long time to find somone better You might not be as temporary as you think - muhahaha!!
    All the best,
    Ian G

**Now holding auditions for a catchy new signature**

Steve Clardy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Knoll View Post
    Larry

Jay
    Here here. I fully agree with you Jay

I really think there is an evolutionary cycle for forums. At their peak, most of them have a core group of long-time regulars, another chunk of "regulars-in-waiting" who haven't been there that long but might go the distance, and the rest are newbies and drive-bys (purely descriptive, no offense intended).

If there isn't enough circulation into the core group, it can get inbred: that middle group shrinks and all you have left is newbies and old-timers. Eventually it can get to the point where most of the posts are newbies asking "old" questions that the old-timers have already heard and thrashed out once too often, so the newbie gets ignored (or abused), there's no new blood coming in, and the whole thing starts circling the drain.

Size matters too: a certain critical mass is necessary for survival, but if a forum gets too big, that inner core just tends to huddle together closer, which accelerates the process.

What? You thought that, just because it's "online", the normal social dynamics don't apply?
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?