is it age?

I had the same response to Lee's post as Ian, but wondered if it would be possible to create a "knowledge base" within vBulliten. My thought was something like a sticky regarding a subject that would lead to threads on that subject. I realize the search engine will pretty much do that, but there are people who are uncomfortable/unsophisticated using it, so if we made it easier then newby might go there before posting the same old questions. The end result, I think, would be a greater value of the board and the old timers not becoming board with the questions.

Instead of an FAQ, how about a wiki? There's a product that integrates with vBulletin and it looks to be pretty cheap. Here's a link:

http://www.nuhit.com/wiki/Main_Page

For those of you who don't know what a wiki is, it's a structured "encyclopedia" that can be edited by a user community. We could control how it is structured. Essentially, it's a dynamic FAQ.

I'm not sure what our hosting arrangement is but even if we can't integrate a wiki within the site, there are plenty of inexpensive wiki service providers where we could set one up separately. I'd be willing to help out wherever I can with setting this up if we think it's something we may want to pursue.

wiki idea??

well i dint expect this to get so hot but just was voicing a few words i had heard and particpated in but the wiki idea does sound appealing if it could be connected threw the family setup. one thing i can relate to is not having to answr the same darn questions all the tme.. had a expeirence with a4 yr old awhile back and coulds strangled him,,naw just duct tape would do.. so if i have a hard time with it then the 'ole timers" here very well could too.. we DONT WANT TO LOOSE THEM..they are what is the life blood of this forum.. not that younguns aint got smarts too, but they tend to be less expeirenced and i feel that expeirnce is way bettr than book learnin jist 2bits more

Well this tread is turning out to be interesting!

I think that we might want to create a "new member kit" essentially a link to a series of posts that describe "how this place works". Not exactly the FAQ kind of stuff, but more of the values underpinning this place.

On the subject of questions that have already been answered, I'm a bit more ambivalent. New people asking a question can revitalize the discussion. Someone who hadn't answered a post before might through his/her 2 cents in and give us some new information.

And just because someone is a "newbie" here doesn't mean that they are newbies to the craft.

Jay

Instead of an FAQ, how about a wiki? There's a product that integrates with vBulletin and it looks to be pretty cheap. Here's a link:

http://www.nuhit.com/wiki/Main_Page

I didn't dare mention wiki - I thought it might be a step too far for some folks. In fact, it does seem like the best way to handle such a project.

If Larry Would Wiki then Why Wouldn't I ?? Why Wouldn't We all Wiki ?? ;)

Ian is correct. Let's say we set up a Family Woodworking wiki. We could set up the "table of contents" to be whatever we want. Let's say we have:

Vendors
--Power Tools
--Hand Tools

Methods of Work
--Mortising
--Tenoning
--Dovetails

We, as members, can go into these documents and enter our own text. Kind of an evolving encyclopedia. Let's say I go into the "Tenoning" document and enter "A router can be used to make tenons. Here's how you do it. Here are the pros. Here are the cons." Ian could later go into that same document and write "Another method is a table saw tenoning jig. Here's how you make one. Pros, cons, etc." Stu could come in later and add another con to using a router.

The key to making it successful is good organization. Also, it should be pretty heavily moderated. Because it's structured, we would really want to make sure each section stays on topic.

I think doing this would really set us apart from other sites.

Larry,

Look what you've started! :eek: :doh:

And from such an innocent question...:poke:

But a very good question...and one that has brought out some very good responses and discussions...Thanks for asking it! ;) :thumb:

As for the Wiki, that's a very interesting idea, but folks need to consider the VERY HEAVY moderation that it would require to ensure its usefulness, both short and long term. I would guess that keeping it in line, focused, and on subject would be a greater task than moderating this entire forum!

I'm not saying it's not do-able, but I am saying the level of effort would certainly be non-trivial, and on-going.

A new thread to discuss the Wiki might be in order if enough folks think it's something we should pursue...

- Marty -

As for the Wiki, that's a very interesting idea, but folks need to consider the VERY HEAVY moderation that it would require to ensure its usefulness, both short and long term. I would guess that keeping it in line, focused, and on subject would be a greater task than moderating this entire forum!

I'd just like to point out that not all wikis work like wikipedia where (until recently) anyone could edit or deface a document.

Files can be locked, permissions can be set, access can be limited. There are still lots of issues to address, but drive-bys can be easily prevented.

It would be a major undertaking, both from a technical and interpersonal point of view. Would Member Solomon please report to the Wiki Desk !??

Marty is right, it would not be trivial. Ian mentions that we could limit permissions, which would ease the moderation duties. However, then you have few contributers which means they have to produce more content.

As Marty suggested, I'm going to go ahead & start a new thread for this. We seemed to have strayed quite far from the original post.