Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Maple Craftsman Dining Table Build

Maple Craftsman Dining Table Build

Well, Got the wood on Friday. Got it stacked on Saturday. Guess it's time to get started on the table.

So today is basically wood selection and 'think about it' day.

Before I cut one piece of wood, I want to spend some time just looking at the pieces, thinking about what I want to do, and how I'm going to do it before I start. This will be my biggest project, and first real household project, so I want to make sure I do things right the first time.

The size of the table I'm thinking about will be 7' long by 42" wide. So I had two nice wider boards, and quite a few thinner boards. What I've got laid out here is 10' long by ~45" wide. That gives me a few extra inches of width, and I'm not really going to cry if the table ends up 41" wide. I figure I'll cut the boards about 6" longer than 7' to give me a little length to play with.

The boards are slighty cupped, and one has a bit of a bow, that bow is at the end and most of that will be cut off.

I'm working off of an article in Fine Wood Working called 'Stickley Done Lightly'. It was a 48" wide 10' long table. They used curly maple, but I'm just using regular Eastern Rock Maple. I'm also going to do mine a bit smaller than theirs, but in the general style.

So, Not sure how long this project will take. We've had some awfully nice days lately out in the shop. 57 degrees out today, but things will be getting cold soon, and I'm sure I'll be slowing down then, plus I have other projects in the housel.

I'd really like to get the table done before Thanksgiving, that gives me what (Larry, you told me earlier today!) 18 days? If I can at least get the table top glued up by then, I guess I might just have to use my new sawhorses for the legs until I finish it!

I do plan on making chairs and a bench for it as well, but that will probably be a completely different story!

Wish me luck!

Here's a picture of the boards layed out to decide how best to arrange them before I cut.

And I think this shows why I wanted some stout sawhorses!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails diningtable_01.jpg   diningtable_02.jpg  
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I know that your project with that wood will be fun and the final outcome will be beautiful ----- But I will say it again -- I really like your saw horses...

Too nice to be saw horses!! got me wanting to make some..

Paul
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gallian View Post
    I know that your project with that wood will be fun and the final outcome will be beautiful ----- But I will say it again -- I really like your saw horses...

Paul
    The saw horses were really quite easy to put together. I got the idea from ShopNotes #108. I changed mine slightly from their plans, but I basically started on friday, and if I hadn't had to have done all the garage reorg on saturday, they would have been done saturday. Just simple pine and doug fir, nothing fancy, that's for sure!
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Your sawhorses really look good. If they were just a bit lower, they'd make a great trestle for your table.
    Jim D.

if you stained them the same color as the table, I doubt anyone would know they werent the legs for the table they look so nice.

thanksgiving? you need to get going on it.

As a dedicated procrastinator, I've found there's nothing quite as motivating as a rapidly approaching deadline!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    As a dedicated procrastinator, I've found there's nothing quite as motivating as a rapidly approaching deadline!

Story of my life
    Faith, Hope & Charity

me two

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Story of my life
    me three

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gallian View Post

Paul
    me four

Attaboy Brent 18 days you can easily get it done. Take a leaf our of Allens book. Allen looks like you need to go on a road trip to visit Brent and show him how its done.
    cheers

brent skip plane them first to get a better picture of what they are gonna look like..sometimes the rough side doesnt show the true picture..then make your final decision and go for the goal
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

And the people said, "AMEN"!

Quite an ambitious project and I'm sure you'll get 'er done.

(I really like the sawhorses, too!)
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.