Maple Craftsman Dining Table Build

Well, Got the mortises cut in the aprons and mated up to the tenons on the legs. They are serviceable, but not real 'pretty'. But they are hidden, so I've got that going for me.

The tenons were super easy to do in the table saw with a tenoning jig, so I've got that part nailed.

I'm going to take a different tack for the mortises on the legs to hold the stretchers.

It just means I need to build a router jig or two.

Seems to me I've got a copy of a book by the Router Lady with a nifty little mortising jig for a router. I think I will take that jig and adapt it a little bit to my needs.

So, Ordered up some parts and am getting started down this little detour. Not a roadblock, just a detour and a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Onward through the fog! :thumb: (Not sure if you're old enough to have heard that term...) :D

As a general term, it sounds familiar. I did some googling and found some songs with the name, but not sure if that's what you were referring too?

But yes, There is no fog, I have a clear path to go, just need to get the right jig built to do what I need to do.

Ok, Got some parts in and am starting to make the jig. I'll be modifying this a bit, but this will be the general idea.

step1_mortisejig.jpg

As a general term, it sounds familiar. I did some googling and found some songs with the name, but not sure if that's what you were referring too?

But yes, There is no fog, I have a clear path to go, just need to get the right jig built to do what I need to do.

I don't recall where I first heard it, but among my friends and myself, it was always kind of a generic "carry on despite any obstacles" encouragement. :thumb:

Revised the adjustable router template a bit. Have to say this combination works pretty well. The only trouble is with how deep the mortises are, I had to go half way through, then take it out of the jig and use a bottom bearing bit to clean up things a bit.

attachment.php

And here we have the legs. I did not do the best job, as there are some gaps and issues here and there I'm going to need to work on, but you know what, it's under the table.

tablelegs.jpg

The tricky parts are coming up now, where I will be using tusk tenons for that stretcher to make the table relatively 'portable'. I have no intentions of ever moving it in what remains of my lift, but who knows, maybe someone else will.

Looks like the bottom bearing trick worked pretty well anyway :thumb:

You'll be the only person to ever see the gaps. Trust me on that one. Unless I come over to visit, but then we know I'm not normal so that doesn't count :rofl:

I don't think the tusk tenons should be to much of a stretch at this point (and with that I'll show myself out).

I'm sure there is time to start over, really...don't rush this. ;) :D

Looks great, looking forward to seeing it all together. What is the finish going to be?
November 9th 2009 start, today is October 25th 2016..... :huh:
He has another 15 days before it is 7 years..... :thumb: heck he is not even onto a full decade yet...... :D

Your legs look great.... and I don't usually say to that another dude :eek:

the legs look good brent:thumb:, but, plopping a 4x8 of plywood on top does not mean the table is finished. could be used like that as a temporary measure though, a good tablecloth, like makup and paint, can hide a multitude of sins.....:D

the legs look good brent:thumb:, but, plopping a 4x8 of plywood on top does not mean the table is finished. could be used like that as a temporary measure though, a good tablecloth, like makup and paint, can hide a multitude of sins.....:D

Oddly enough, the legs are sitting on top of the table top in that picture...

(The plywood table is in the corner of the living room, That 'prototype' will need to be replaced at some point)