Maple Craftsman Dining Table Build

Go Brent Go..... so by my calculation you have a top that was done at BW 2013, now you have legs and Sharon has ordered chairs so you well on your way whats the hold up for completion?

I figure you got 5 components we aint seen yet.

2 braces under the table ?

Stretcher down the middle connecting legs

and the other two pieces linking the two legs together.

bench can arrive later given you got chairs coming.

Sharon can you share the source for knock down kit chairs. I did not know that decent chairs were available in kit form other than ikea.

See if you can relate to this.

1) also working on finishing the entertainment center. Doors are being finished, so that reduced the amount of cutting/planing I'm doing. But got the last coat of finish on those today, so should be able to rub them out, put the hinges on and get them installed tomorrow. That will let me get the planing and dust generating work done on the legs.

2) For Christmas, Sharon gave me permission to get some chickens, so also working on building a chicken run outside. Will work on the coop once I get the table done.

3) The greenhouse has kind of fallen apart over the last year, so I'm tearing it down and am going to rebuild it. Got all the parts, just need to tear down the old one and get the new one built. I cleaned it out today.

That doesn't count a few other misc projects, but you get the picture. But, I am working on the table legs and all! Just a little bit at a time.

Yeah, I will wait to put any finish on the table and legs till the chairs get here. They are not actually maple, but 'parawood/rubberwood'. I've heard there are some challenges in finishing, so will need to do some experimentation on parts of it..

.... For Christmas, Sharon gave me permission to get some chickens....

I wuz wondering when Sharon would get desperate enough to play the chicken card. Heck, if my wife played the chicken card she might get that bed she's been wanting for the last five years. Don't anybody tell her! :rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Well,

Today we have about 3" of snow on the ground and it's 23 degrees outside. Looks like I'll be doing mostly 'virtual' woodworking today.

I'll run the heater in the garage and see if I can get the temp up to working temps, but not that optimistic.

It had been just fantastic. A little chilly in the mornings, but the days were great for both indoor and outdoor projects. Oh well. Off to the music studio!

Well,

Today we have about 3" of snow on the ground and it's 23 degrees outside. Looks like I'll be doing mostly 'virtual' woodworking today.

I'll run the heater in the garage and see if I can get the temp up to working temps, but not that optimistic.

That prevented me from getting much done.
As a time saver for the table...maybe just 3 legs?

Well, Went out there anyway and did some jointing of the leg pieces so I can glue up the leg blanks.

Got one in the clamps right now. Will just work my way through the other sets. One thing I did learn is my dust collection is woefully inadequate for my little 6" powermatic jointer.

I'll probably have to go out there and sharpen the blades this afternoon. This maple is hard.

20141230_115140.jpg

Looks like I managed to procrastinate another 1.5 years on this project since the last progress....

Well, Well, What's this, a pile of maple all cut up sort of leg sized?

Have to do some more milling work on these tomorrow, but getting some work done on the base!

View attachment 88154

I have a pair of nitestands that took a year to build and I still don't really like them. Listen not to those nay-sayers which abound . . . darn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! :thumb:

Cool looking chair, I think this is one of those items i would also prefer to buy rather than make myself. Seems to be a whole bunch of work and cuts there that i dont think i could do better on. And then making how many is not what i consider fun for a hobby.