Maple Craftsman Dining Table Build

He did show me the legs yesterday (he needs a shave :rofl:). We figure if we have more than four people total, someone will just have to straddle. Still want my bench on one side, though. We have a vacation coming up in a few weeks...I'm optimistic. 42 days and counting :thumb:

Only a fully trained Jedi Knight, with the Force as his ally, will conquer the table. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, the top, the legs, everywhere! Yes, even in only 42 days! Already know you that which you need.:D

Well, was making some progress today, but the winds are blowing about 30-50 mph, and basically every, and I do mean every time, the wind blows or a squirrel farts on a power pole out here the power goes out.

So, Time to fire up the genny, and grab a beer.

But I did make some progress laying out the mortise and tenons for the legs, and got some mortises and tenons cut.

First up is a little D.I.Why. I figure its easier to capture sawdust when you make it than to pick it up later, so using a couple of sticks of hotglue I Glued a plumbing fitting onto my saw that fits the hose on my little shop vac.

Actually ended up working pretty well. Had to find a new sawblade though as the first one I had wouldn't barely cut through the maple and mostly burned it's way through when I was trimming the ends of the table.
tbl_diwhy.jpg

And here I have one set of legs mortised into the upper whatever you call it. Still need to make some mortises for the stretchers, But it's starting to come together.
tbl_legs1..jpg

"Whatever you call it" is an apron piece. Top pieces that connect the legs and sit under the top, are aprons, Lower pieces are stretchers.

Good on you for getting this moving. Proud of you. Have a beer on me to celebrate. Wish I could come to help out.

BTW, burn marks come out best with a sharp scraper. And I know you do sharp very well.

"Whatever you call it" is an apron piece. Top pieces that connect the legs and sit under the top, are aprons, Lower pieces are stretchers.

Good on you for getting this moving. Proud of you. Have a beer on me to celebrate. Wish I could come to help out.

BTW, burn marks come out best with a sharp scraper. And I know you do sharp very well.

I had a little length to spare, so fortunately the burn marks on the end grain came out by cutting it off.

I pre-sharpened my chisels before I started refining the mortises. I can see that already the chisels are dulling from the hard maple. I'm going to sharpen them again.

The first mortise was a little rough, but the second one was better, and the third one I was working on was doing pretty well before the power went out.

I'd like to try and get the rest done tomorrow. 8 more to go, but some of them will demand a little more attention to detail than these that are going into the aprons, as they will be more visible.

So, We'll see. But it was fun.
As I was working on the mortises with my chisels,