Trip to the wood shed

Drew Watson

Well I did a trip to the wood shed and found a chunk of Alder. I spent some time working on sharpening the lathe tools free hand today and was getting some good curls off the wood. This is the before and after of my attempt at a bowl. It is finished in some Tried and true from LV as I just wanted to see how the wood would look with it. I found a use for some old belt sander belts that tore into some nice sized 1 inch strips. 50 grit and 120. Didn't want to spend too much time finishing it as it is just Alder. The marks in the one pic is just something in the wood. I tried leaving the bark on but one small 1/2 inch chunk came off near the end. I was going to try to take it down smaller but after the last two blew up on me i didn't want to take the chance yet. All comments good or bad welcome.

Attachments

• Alder bowl 001.JPG
    Alder bowl 001.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Alder bowl 003.JPG
    Alder bowl 003.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Alder bowl 004.JPG
    Alder bowl 004.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 50
DANG boy,ya gave me a scare there.just remembering my trips out there.looks like you made the trip worth while.OH YEAH I never went to the wood shed as I was reaised by the sweetest lady with more love for me than you could imagine.MY DEAR SWEET GRANNY :)

You're on a roll, Drew. :thumb: Hard to believe you're just getting reacquainted with the lathe after all these years. You may already know this, but if you can find the chunk of bark that came off, CA glue will work wonders for reattaching it to the rim.

You're on a roll, Drew. :thumb: Hard to believe you're just getting reacquainted with the lathe after all these years. You may already know this, but if you can find the chunk of bark that came off, CA glue will work wonders for reattaching it to the rim.

Thanks Vaughn, I wish that I had looked for the chunk before I turned the Dc on:doh: Oh well it is just Alder and it was just an experiment to try something out. I can honestly say that it is lots of fun playing with the lathe again and I am loving every second of it. I know I was warned about this slippery slope. :eek::eek::eek: :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Vaughn,
I like the popouri bowls... where do you get the tops... I've seen them in one of my catalogs, but it's too early for the memory this morning.. still trying to get enough coffee in there to fuel it.