Wood glorious wood .....( from the movie of Oliver Twist)

Rob Keeble

Well to lighten up the monday blues i thought i would share a few i dunno maybe you could say gloats or series of extreme good fortune.

I "accidently on purpose" stopped in at the local lumber guys (not HD:D) and I would highly recommend you do the same sometime if you have not. These guys might have posted prices etc but there is always something they are clearing out or have on special to move.

So i had the good fortune to pic up some wood i aint heard of Brazzilian Oak and its thick. Brazillian Oak.jpgIMG_0012.jpgAbout 40 inch lengths which i intend to use for my leg vice on my bench. (WIP).

Ok so i know its no biggie to guys that are pros and deal with decent wood all day or guys who have so much cut stuff that they could start a lumber store (Larry ya feeling it???) but for little old me in my little old shop its a big move deviating from the tradditional pine at HD.:D

I wanted a bunch to play with. Picked up some offcuts of maple ($10 bucks a bundle) Some Cherry same and some poplar. Then found this piece of Jatoba Jatoba front.jpgJatoba rear.jpgJatoba side.jpgand it said "Rob take me home please I will work for you as a jaw to your bench vice" So i asked the guy how much expecting one of those answers where i whisper to the wood after the guy is gone "Sorry buddy but you just to fancy for me right now" But lady luck was shining on me just like the disney picture from Sword in the Stone sword in the stone.jpgwhere the forest canopy opens up and light streams down and you feel you just got a blessing. He said mmmmmh lets see and measured it and said it should be $43 bucks but you know what you can take it for $10. So we both lived happily ever after. Boy its hard and heavy Jatoba i found out. But hey Glenn Bradley if you read this post, our Craftsman postal code saw cut this baby with no problem with a 50 tooth Diablo freud thin kerf blade.:D:rofl:

So this will become the jaws on the Candian antique bench vice i have. :):thumb:More on that later when updates to what is becoming "THE MOTHER OF ALL BENCHES" continues:):rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hey Jonathan no aint been on the barley hops lately:D Just in a good mood for a Monday and thought i would brighten your day with a little humor of my own making.

My Bad for poor Dickens, Karl but i dont think he did the holywood version with songs.

Here is my reference. Jonathan you need to see this show or better still read the book. Its very powerful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQsOcYF69AY&feature=related

I am just ripping off the tune with Wood Glorius wood nothing quiet like it. I reckon a few of more intelligent artistic people here could replace all the words in the original with references to wood something like " wood glorius wood much better than borg stuff..etc I aint no good in that direction.

Last edited:
Nice haul, Rob. :thumb:

You may want to re-think the idea of using the jatoba for your bench vise jaws. As hard as it is, it seems likely it would dent most other woods you put in the vise. My vote would be for something softer. ;)