Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-gluing sanding belts

Re-gluing sanding belts

Hi gang,

Not really sure if this is the place to post this question, so if the mods want to move it, please do.

I have four types of belt sanders, one 6"x48" Craftsman, one 1"x42" Delta, one 3/4"x21" air sander, & one 3"x24" Rockwell belt sander, for each of which I have purchased belts. Now it seems when I go to use these various sanders, the belts keep breaking apart at the glued joint. The belts are still like new, just the joints are separating.

I have tried CA glue, but that is too stiff and the joint breaks again.

Belts are expensive, and I need to use what I have, if I can. Any advice will be appreciated.

Help!

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Maybe some kind of contact cement?

Who did you buy the belts from? Maybe you should contact the makers and ask them what to do, there could have been a batch of bad belts?

Or at least they should be able to suggest a glue.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I know that this may seem a silly question to ask but with some of the belts I have used in the past they have arrows as belts are directional and if they go the wrong way they tend to come apart at the glue joint. Are they on the right way?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

i`ve never had any luck trying to re-glue belts....seems as though age/humidity affects the glue so i don`t try to stock to many.
    old busted belts are good for the lathe
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

All good input so far. You might... try keeping one belt in the refrigerator from brand-new until you use it, just to see if it's the humidity that's getting to the joint. If the manufacturer has a big name, you might contact them & see if they either have more suggestions or will outright replace your belts as defective. Do check the arrows on the back - the arrows need to point in the direction of belt travel.

The only other thing I can offer is looking at the platen behind each of the belts - if the belt is catching on a sharp platen edge, it may peel the belt apart from the inside out.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a belt unglue itself... I've worn quite a lot of belts completely out, till they're smooth (I pinch pennies till you can see light through 'em), but never had one come apart that way. Rip lengthwise, yes - but not come apart.
    -- Tim --

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hofstetter View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a belt unglue itself...
    i don`t have delamination troubles with belts on my widebelt or edge sander but the 6x48 and handheld 3x24 i frequently get `em so hot the glue will let go.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Tony,
    I had a similar issue recently with Klingspor belts. I contacted the company and they confirmed that the belts have a shelf life of about 2 years. Needless to say, my belts were older than that.

I haven't tried it, but maybe some sort of strapping tape (with the strands in it) might work. Most of my belts were originally put together with tape.

FWIW, Wes

Re-gluing sanding belts

Thanks Stu, Drew, Tod, Tim & Wes.

I will try finding the manufacturers and ask. Good suggestion, Stu.

Yup Drew, Lap joint belts have arrows, so the joint does not catch on the platen. I make sure I have them correctly installed.

Tod & Wes, I had heard that the shelf life of belts is not at all too long. If I save my broken belts for my lathe work, I will have to live to be 100 (only 31 and 1/2 more years) and I still might have a few left. Wes, I am thinking that the tape used to join these belts looks a lot like fiberglas strapping tape. I wonder if that adhesive would be strong enough? Got to try that one.

Tim, I never thought of refrigerating a new one to compare. Good tip to try. Yes, I have made sure all surfaces the belts contact are smooth and free of burrs and such. No catches, until the belt starts coming apart. (I actually did hear one start and turned the sander off quickly, to find that it was indeed only the glue letting go. No tearing, no destruction of the joint tape)

I got another sguuestion from another forum to try mylar tape. Maybe? I am also wondering if the joints might be held together by a heat activated adhesive.

Lots more to look into.

Thanks and Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Tony,
    One thing you might try is putting duct tape on the inside of the belts. My son used to do that when he did body work and it made them last longer.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Long ago I made up a belt for my stroke sander using an "iron on knee patch" as the splice material. I selected a nylon one so it was nice and thin.
    hobby woodworking since 1972