It's the wifes fault

Drew Watson

Well the wife said that she loves seeing me smile and after the past few days of a little frustration over the dull tool issue she asked me why i didn't get the sharpening system so I went to LV and well it was her fault for saying ok. :rofl::rofl::rofl: She has asked what i want for Christmas ( like I don't already have the only gift I want) and Alex mentioned about the buffing system to really finish off the turning so it was mentioned.

So I spent a couple of hrs sharpening the tools tonight and wow what a difference. I had to throw the second chunk of the alder on the lathe and played with every tool. Even back in high school I never experienced tools this sharp before. Well here is the result of my playing tonight, Lots of big curlies.. I was a little disapointed about the chip as I was pushing my comfort zone with getting a thin wall without it blowing up, but it does add a little character ( didn't see it till I stopped the lathe). Oh no sanding at all and it is really smooth.

Just like a little kid I was looking around to see what else I could turn. Then I remembered when I bought the tools a few years ago the fellow threw in some unfinished projects for me to play with when I got my lathe. I have a pre turned Arbutus bowl and an oak bowl I think there is some Yew wood and I am not sure of the rest. Still I don't want to touch them till I am a bit better at this.

Attachments

• bowl 3 005.JPG
    bowl 3 005.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 103
  • bowl 3 002.JPG
    bowl 3 002.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 78
  • bowl 3 009.JPG
    bowl 3 009.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 78
  • bowl 3 013.JPG
    bowl 3 013.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 80
  • bowl 3 015.JPG
    bowl 3 015.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 77
  • bowl 3 007.JPG
    bowl 3 007.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 72
Ahh yes, the quest for the perfect sharpening system! Like they say, lot's of ways to skin that cat, and it looks like you were having some fun! Way to go Drew!

Way to go Drew.:thumb: This sharpening thing is like a right of passage.

I came to realise the same thing about my schooling. Dont think my ww or metal work teachers completed the passage or they were afraid of what my class of renegades would do with the sharp tools, it would have nothing to do with the subject.:D:rofl::rofl:

I like the shape you getting there with the bowl. I think Vaughn and others better watch out we have a artist in our midst.;)

Thanks Guys it really is a lot of fun.:thumb::thumb::thumb: Yes The slope is really slippery and really, really steep too.:rofl::rofl:Thanks Stu for pointing me in the direction of the wolverine it a wonderfull and easy system:thumb:. I was going to attempt to build the Var- grind attachment that you made but thought about the time it would have taken and how much better that time would have been spent turning, and well the turning won out. :D Rob I think we must have had the same shop teacher :D. I am going out today to look for some downed tree's as I hear fresh wood is way easier to turn and i just want to give it a try.

Oh and Stu the wife suggested ( yes she did) that I get the extension for the lathe. So I went to KMS to order one and wouldn't you know that they had one there. Seems a guy had an older nova and he wanted the extension and found out that they have changed the shape of the new beds and the new doesn't fit the old. So i was one happy camper till I got it home. I hooked it all together and went to slide the tail stock and it stopped at the extension. So played with it loosening bolts and re adjusting but with no luck. Fianlly took the entire thing off and tried it off the lathe. Seems the alignment of the track must be off just a hair as I put the digital calipers to the track and could find no variation from old and new along the entire track. So rather than fuss with it I took it back to the store and they have ordered a new one for me. So far i have had bad luck getting the stand , outrigger and table extension. Gee glad that I have a great sence of humor about things or i would go nuts. Ok maybe I already am. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

hey drew is that a wideeee stone on the right there? and if so why so wide the ones i am used to seeing are only 1":huh::huh:

Hi Larry, Yes it is a wideeee stone 1 5/8. It actually came with the grinder from Grizzly. I picked up the slow speed grinder thinking it would be great for the plane blades and chisels and not wear the stone as much. It actually works great for the plane blades and with the new deck on the wolverine system it is going to make sharpening the blades and chisels a lot easier. I have a second grinder that is a regular speed and wheels but I think I would like a slow speed 8"grinder next with a wide wheel Like this one . http://www.grizzly.com/products/T10097 . Any advice on the grinder and sharpening is always appreciated as I know so many here have more experience than me in this field.

Last edited:
Wow Drew that Grizzly unit had missed my eyes. I am watching this thread with interest to see any comments to it. Maybe we should get a new thread going in the tools section. For $100 that looks to good to be true, its gotta have a catch somewhere. Tormek is the real deal but i wonder where this thing goes wrong compared to that.

A tool thread would be a great idea Rob. I was wondering how the water tray works and if it is worth while. Therer is a 10 inch grinder on the next page of the Grizzly cataloge but I don't think the sharpening system works with a 10 inch grinder.

Well another day of no stand or outrigger. KMS tools says that they shipped it from Vancouver some time in the past few days must be sending over by sea turtle or something like that. Oh well just gives me more excuses to play in the shop with the new toy. I did eye something the other day that Vaughn posted in regards to my post "trip to the wood shed". I found them at LV and had a chunk of cedar that I had made for post caps and wanted to see how it would work before using a good chunk of wood. I was happy with it's outcome. I think I am getting the hang of this now.:thumb: Christmas is around the corner and no i don't need to be reminded as to how many days left.lol

Attachments

• Cedar box 001.JPG
    Cedar box 001.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Cedar box 002.JPG
    Cedar box 002.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Cedar box 003.JPG
    Cedar box 003.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Cedar box 004.JPG
    Cedar box 004.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I worked on an Arbutus Bowl that was given with the tools I bought a couple of years ago and wow i love this wood beautiful grain and a very dense . It is hard to work with as it has been drying since 1992 ( it had writting on it with that date) and i was cussing at times as the bowl was originally turned out of round. I had to re sharpen the tools twice to use the best edge so that i could get it round enough to work with. Funny I thought while doing it that these same tools worked on it at one time years ago. Not finished but just wanted to share my progress.

Attachments

• Arbutus bowl 002.JPG
    Arbutus bowl 002.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Arbutus bowl 003.JPG
    Arbutus bowl 003.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Arbutus bowl 004.JPG
    Arbutus bowl 004.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 8
A tool thread would be a great idea Rob. I was wondering how the water tray works and if it is worth while. Therer is a 10 inch grinder on the next page of the Grizzly cataloge but I don't think the sharpening system works with a 10 inch grinder.

Well another day of no stand or outrigger. KMS tools says that they shipped it from Vancouver some time in the past few days must be sending over by sea turtle or something like that. Oh well just gives me more excuses to play in the shop with the new toy. I did eye something the other day that Vaughn posted in regards to my post "trip to the wood shed". I found them at LV and had a chunk of cedar that I had made for post caps and wanted to see how it would work before using a good chunk of wood. I was happy with it's outcome. I think I am getting the hang of this now.:thumb: Christmas is around the corner and no i don't need to be reminded as to how many days left.lol

Looks great Drew, I did a few of those for Christmas a few years back, and they were big hits! :thumb: :santa:

Looks great Drew, I did a few of those for Christmas a few years back, and they were big hits! :thumb: :santa:

Yea Stu the wife was shocked at how fast I made it. I hadn't planned these for christmas but this is just way too easy. I think that everyone will be getting something turned. I have lots of scraps in the shop still. I do realise that I could use some speciality tools to get into those tight spaces. and a smaller tool rest. Actually i am looking forward to getting the outrigger so that I can swivel the head rather than twisting like a fool over the machine. The bed extension will be here by the end of the week too (or so they say)