While babysitting the grands, I noticed this pen. At first, I didnít even recognize it as one I had made. But, on inspection, I figured out that I had given this to my daughter-in-law as a Christmas present seven years ago. It was one of my very early efforts at making pens.
Iím horrified at what I see.
It is a European in Buckeye Burl. So far, so good.
But, I finished with Mylandís and now the finish is completely worn off. I no longer use Mylandís for pens.
The end of the blank is not square with the nib. I know I milled before turning but, obviously, failed to inspect the finished product. I now mill both before and after turning.
The ultra-fat, wasp-waist lower barrel is just plain ugly and uncomfortable to hold. I must have thought I was being clever. It is a disaster.
The upper barrel is a trifle fat, I would slenderize today.
The clip retainer and clip are, obviously, missing. Pity, it was a Caduceus (medical) clip. My DIL is a doctor. I am now thinking that it might be wise to use CA or Loctite on those for permanent retention.
All in all, it is an amateur train wreck, Iím pretty ashamed of it. Upside is that current work is light years better and I am able to recognize my beginners errors.