Breadboard problems

Made my first board (actually about 7 months ago) - since is was my first attempt I did a face grain for the experience. I Planed it, sanded it and it was a smooth as a babies bottom.
Now several months later you can feel every seam or joint. Is this movement normal - or did I do something wrong.

Jiggs Elphison

I am wagering on normal wood movement. I mean if you were WAYYYY up north in Missoula, it would be real dry :rolleyes:. A pic of the seams you are feeling would help but, expansion and contraction generally happen more across the grain than with it. Are the seams you are feeling where a board could hae gained or lost width?

Jiggs, I've seen the same thing happen with my cutting boards, and for the most part, I blame in on seasonal changes in the wood. I have noticed, though, that the boards I've glued up with Titebond II -- particularly end grain boards -- show the problem, but the ones that I've made with plastic resin glue (DAP Weldwood) don't.

As John mentioned, I'd not worry much about it. If it becomes bad enough to bother you, a few minutes with some 400 or 600 grit sandpaper will work wonders.

Thank you all for answering - especially Vaughn, not wanting to slight anyone I consider him the Guru of Cutting Boards. Sorry Vaughn but it was your posts that prompted me to join this Forum.

I just glued up my first end grain. It's going to be small, 1 1/4 x 11 x 12-
I measured once and cut twice (from both ends) - I felt the smaller size would be easier to learn how to sand the end grain- now I have to figure what you mean by adding sacrificial boards so you can run them thru the planer.

Larry you have asked me to show pictures a couple of times and some day I will, but I really don't want to embarrass myself. I'm 73 years old, legally blind and have only been at this for about 6 years have been trying to learn by reading and asking questions.

Jiggs Elphison

Jiggs, hopefully this sketch will help explain the sacrificial boards for the planer. The two pieces at the ends are just scrap wood, with the face grain exposed to the planer knives. I make the scrap wood as thick as the end grain pieces are tall, then glue it on. When it's all planed, I trim off the sacrificial pieces on the tablesaw.

Sacrificial Ends.jpg

Just be sure to take very light cuts with the planer.

And thanks for the compliments. I'm flattered. :eek:

Thank you all for answering - especially Vaughn, not wanting to slight anyone I consider him the Guru of Cutting Boards. Sorry Vaughn but it was your posts that prompted me to join this Forum.

I just glued up my first end grain. It's going to be small, 1 1/4 x 11 x 12-
I measured once and cut twice (from both ends) - I felt the smaller size would be easier to learn how to sand the end grain- now I have to figure what you mean by adding sacrificial boards so you can run them thru the planer.

Larry you have asked me to show pictures a couple of times and some day I will, but I really don't want to embarrass myself. I'm 73 years old, legally blind and have only been at this for about 6 years have been trying to learn by reading and asking questions.

Jiggs Elphison

well jiggs i wasnt asking to criticize i just wasnt gettin the picture ,,me being dense:) and when yu decide to show some pics go for it but i can guarntee yu that we all had and stil have ooops that we make and our first projects arent any better than yours.. we all started at the bottom and are still tryun to get better.:D:thumb:

...i can guarntee yu that we all had and stil have ooops that we make and our first projects arent any better than yours.. we all started at the bottom and are still tryun to get better.:D:thumb:

Ya know, I can't remember ever completing a project that didn't include at least one 'oops!'. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just try to creatively cover them up. Sometimes I'm sucessful at it. Other times...not so much.:eek::eek: