Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wood purchase, gettin some big boys, mahogany

wood purchase, gettin some big boys, mahogany

I spent the morning staining a mailbox I made to match the shutters and door moldings, then starting redoing the wood piles.
    I decided in the spring, Im going to start some furniture builds, and I really want to go with Mahogany, but know Im getting low on it.
    so I called my wood guy, and although he wasnt sure how much he had to sell, he told me to come on by.
    Good day, my son was off today, I forced him to go. Hes gettin too big to be daddys helper and since he now earns more then me, he feels this type of manual labor is not worthy of his time, yeah, Id smack him silly if he said no. His old man needs the assistance these days unfortunately.
    So I get there, hes asking me do I want Basswood? Alder, maple, pine, ash, hes got tons of white stuff, but I really only wanted mahogany or cherry(he never has cherry)
    He found a nice 10 inch 16 footer of cherry, then I asked him if he had any wide boards of mahogany, and hootchie momma!!!! I got me some 25-26 inch wide,by almost 27 feet long, some 18 inches by 20 feet.(and even though alot of it is almost 6/4 thick, its all counted as 4/4 with him.
    Then I had to break my own heart, and realized I couldnt transport these big boys in my pickup so he had to cut them down. We both had to hoist those big boys onto the Altendorf slider. (what a machine)
    I dont know if he cares to have his picture taken, so I just blanked him out in one shot. Alot of clamping to hold that big boy down.
    Dont know where Im going to keep it all but Im working on it.

My prices were just incredible, I counted it all up when I got home. Just fabulous, and I know some boards are checked. I was more than compensated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails long board (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1429 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1430 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1431 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1433 (Medium).jpg  

wood stuff 1435 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1436 (Medium).jpg  

Dang! That's some big stuff.

I gotta say, you keep this up, and before long your wood guy's gonna be calling you when he needs wood.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Great Hawl Allen Man YOU NEED A BIGGER SHOP NOW

Allen needs a shop just to store his wood pile! Great Googly Moogly! Those are some nice wide boards!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    ...almost 27 feet long, ...
    twenty-seven feet long!?

Holy honking tree, batman!

where in the sam hill does he get 27ft long boards!

...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

I think hes moving, and all his guys were out on jobs, and he couldnt find one hand held saw, jig or circular, although he found a hilti sawzall, there was no blade with it(made me chuckle to myself, he wasnt happy with his crew for that), and we had to move a wood pile to get the long piece to fit on the saw.

when I first met him, he had tons of 24ft and longer 3x8 beams of mahogany. I couldnt even move them a drop when I tried to push them, I couldnt imagine working with it, but I guess for boat restoration and huge building entrances, he has use for these sizes.
    I did ask him to contact me if he purchases another lot of any exotic woods.
    Last edited by allen levine; 11-12-2009 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    where in the sam hill does he get 27ft long boards!

...art
    I dont know, I guess when a boat comes into port in NY or NJ, hes one of those guys that buy at auctions or at distribution/import levels.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    I dont know, I guess when a boat comes into port in NY or NJ, hes one of those guys that buy at auctions or at distribution/import levels.
    Simple, It fell off a truck!
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Allen I am just speechless. What a great haul man you definitely going to be needing a bigger shop.

To try help with the thoughts, ever thought of perhaps getting a cheap sort of 10 x whatever shed and storing the wood in there. Dont know if you have space for one but something like that would relieve the long term storage issue and give you back some space in your shop.

I have other ideas if you interested but they are really off the wall.

Those wide boards are something else. Wow you gonna be busy now.

All the best Enjoy even just looking at them.

Rob
    cheers

Rob, what kind of off the wall wood storage ideas do you have? I could seriously use some extra room, as long as it doesn't involve shipping it to Canada!