wood purchase, gettin some big boys, mahogany

allen levine

I spent the morning staining a mailbox I made to match the shutters and door moldings, then starting redoing the wood piles.
I decided in the spring, Im going to start some furniture builds, and I really want to go with Mahogany, but know Im getting low on it.
so I called my wood guy, and although he wasnt sure how much he had to sell, he told me to come on by.
Good day, my son was off today, I forced him to go. Hes gettin too big to be daddys helper and since he now earns more then me, he feels this type of manual labor is not worthy of his time, yeah, Id smack him silly if he said no. His old man needs the assistance these days unfortunately.
So I get there, hes asking me do I want Basswood? Alder, maple, pine, ash, hes got tons of white stuff, but I really only wanted mahogany or cherry(he never has cherry)
He found a nice 10 inch 16 footer of cherry, then I asked him if he had any wide boards of mahogany, and hootchie momma!!!! I got me some 25-26 inch wide,by almost 27 feet long, some 18 inches by 20 feet.(and even though alot of it is almost 6/4 thick, its all counted as 4/4 with him.
Then I had to break my own heart, and realized I couldnt transport these big boys in my pickup so he had to cut them down. We both had to hoist those big boys onto the Altendorf slider. (what a machine)
I dont know if he cares to have his picture taken, so I just blanked him out in one shot. Alot of clamping to hold that big boy down.
Dont know where Im going to keep it all but Im working on it.

My prices were just incredible, I counted it all up when I got home. Just fabulous, and I know some boards are checked. I was more than compensated

Attachments

• long board (Medium).jpg
    long board (Medium).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 54
  • wood stuff 1429 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1429 (Medium).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 51
  • wood stuff 1430 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1430 (Medium).jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 48
  • wood stuff 1431 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1431 (Medium).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 48
  • wood stuff 1433 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1433 (Medium).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 51
  • wood stuff 1435 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1435 (Medium).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 50
  • wood stuff 1436 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1436 (Medium).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 41
Dang! :eek: That's some big stuff.

I gotta say, you keep this up, and before long your wood guy's gonna be calling you when he needs wood. :p

Allen needs a shop just to store his wood pile! Great Googly Moogly! Those are some nice wide boards!

I think hes moving, and all his guys were out on jobs, and he couldnt find one hand held saw, jig or circular, although he found a hilti sawzall, there was no blade with it(made me chuckle to myself, he wasnt happy with his crew for that), and we had to move a wood pile to get the long piece to fit on the saw.

when I first met him, he had tons of 24ft and longer 3x8 beams of mahogany. I couldnt even move them a drop when I tried to push them, I couldnt imagine working with it, but I guess for boat restoration and huge building entrances, he has use for these sizes.
I did ask him to contact me if he purchases another lot of any exotic woods.

Last edited:
Allen I am just speechless.:eek: What a great haul man you definitely going to be needing a bigger shop.

To try help with the thoughts, ever thought of perhaps getting a cheap sort of 10 x whatever shed and storing the wood in there. Dont know if you have space for one but something like that would relieve the long term storage issue and give you back some space in your shop.

I have other ideas if you interested but they are really off the wall.:eek:

Those wide boards are something else. Wow you gonna be busy now. :D

All the best:thumb: Enjoy even just looking at them.

Rob

Rob, what kind of off the wall wood storage ideas do you have? I could seriously use some extra room, as long as it doesn't involve shipping it to Canada! :rofl:

I have a 6x10 shed thats totally filled with all the stuff I removed from the garage for work space.
I think Ill be using alot of the wood starting in the spring/summer next year, and I will be putting all the shorter boards up on top to clear floor/rack space.

I suggested to my son I save the long wide boards for his first home purchase so I can build him a nice bar top. I explained to him he will be doing alot of hand planing, he said he didnt mind.

Last edited:
it was really 26ft, 6 inches, but he charged me for 24 feet.
so Im pretty happy with the results. I paid him 680 dollars yesterday.
Ive always paid him 5.00 per board foot for mahogany. I know i got 10 board ft of cherry in there, but going at the same rate, that boils down to 136 bf.
I measure each piece and write it all down as I unload, since I cant add the wood as fast as him, and he allows for any checks or cracks, since Im not handpicking and selecting only perfect boards.
when I figured it out last night, it came out to between 177-179 bf of actual lumber, under 4 dollars per board ft.
Hes a great guy, he never seems to mind when I contact him, and he has a vast collection of lumber, tons of moldings if I want, handrails, frames, and has offered me some custom made hand carved headboards at incredible prices as compared to the thousands of dollars they were originally priced at.
I dont question him too much about where it all comes from.

Ive always paid him 5.00 per board foot for mahogany. ....
when I figured it out last night, it came out to between 177-179 bf of actual lumber, under 4 dollars per board ft. ...
I dont question him too much about where it all comes from.
That's about half what I pay out here for mahogany. WOW.

Im going to spend the day rearranging things, once more to make room, still beats ripping down paper. I figure if I stall a bit more, one of two things will happen. Ill either be locked out of my house and be forced to live in the shop, or I will dilly dally enough the wife will get mad and hire someone to do the work, either way, I think I could come out ahead.(unless ofcourse she reads this, then Im in deep water)