I've been starting Christmas gifts on the lathe the last couple of days. Finished here are 2 pens that I've completed, one tonight and the other last night. The pens will be for my girlfriend's sister and her husband... the same couple that I built the crib for last Christmas, if you remember that Both are the "European pen kits" they were on sale at Woodcraft. These are my 3rd and 4th pens.
The first one is Bloodwood. I really like this stuff. Not only cus it has a cool name but I like the smell of it and the rich, red color. I finished this with CA glue. At my last local turners meeting they demonstrated a few things, one of which included CA finish on a pen. This was my first attempt at it and I'd say I'm happy with the results. I need some practice, and it took some trial and error to get the hang of it, but it was fun learning and I'll probably use this method if I make anymore pens. From what I hear it is the best route to go to have a long lasting finish. After the Final coat I sanded to 600 and then went through all of the micromesh pads.
The second one I finished tonight and it was my first time turning anything acrylic. Thanks to some people's help on here some of my questions were answered that helped me get through it. So thanks again. I did not like doing the acrylic as much as wood. I don't know if it was something I was doing wrong, but there always seemed to be a trail of shavings built up in front of my gouge. It would wrap around the blank and spin with it, only getting larger as I cut more. I could easily stop and brush it off, but it annoyed me a bit because I always wanted to see where I was going with the gouge. Not a huge deal, and I'm sure I'll do more some day, but I prefer the wood Finished it going through the micromesh pads. Thanks for looking everyone!
p.s. sorry for the not so professional looking picture