Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Making 2 Mission style chairs for the commision - Final Picture

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Making 2 Mission style chairs for the commision - Final Picture

As most of you know I have a commision to make furtniture for a New Church. If you missed it you can read about it here. Although the church wont be ready intil mid March I figured I'd better get started. I have a problem with storage so I'll be making the smaller pieces first. I decided to start off with the chairs. The main chair will 50 inches tall and the side chair will be 40 inches tall. All the furnisture will be Maple. The chair legs are going to be 8/4.
    Today I cut a template for the back legs and got them layed out. There is anough scrap left over to make the table legs but that will be another thread. Tomarrow I should get the legs shaped and the rest of the pieces for the seats cut.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chairs Layout.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	39092
    The rear legs are kicked out 3 degress for stability. The back the same for comfort. I got the three degree number from Sam Maloof when He was showing us how he made chairs.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 07-23-2010 at 07:50 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don, you are going to need a larger shop
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Nice commission.
    When you are done with the chairs, work on the photography.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

How to make chair legs with a Table saw

While shaping the legs for my chairs today I was getting frustrated by the lack of power my poor little 12" band saw had and the time it was taking me to cut 8/4 maple.(I know I need a bigger band saw) I sat down to noodle it a little and came up with this as a solution.

Name:	Chair legs being cut.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	39137
    I firgure there had to be a wayu to do it on table saw. I took my auxirary router fence and positioned it so that the crook in the legs would basically stop at the proper place oon the legs. Now It was easy to get them shaped.

Name:	Chair legs cut.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	39138
    A little clean up and these will be ready to go.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

If anyone has any questions, comments or suggestions they are welcome.

ingenious
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Great solution. I always get an extra boost in the shop when I am faced with a challenge and I can look around at what I've got and say "yeah, I can do that". Thanks for taking us along on the build. I'm enjoying the ride.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

hey don, before yu get far along maybe yu could get your camra focused better kinda fuzzy bud
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Good to see that you're working Don, I'll just sit and enjoy the show
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I was working on the chairs today cutting various pieces and I looked at the drawing. The spindles on the back rest looked funney. On the original design they stopped at the seat. I took a few minutes to see what they looked like if I extended em to the rear spreader on the side chair for comparison and I think it looks better. Here are the two chairs side by side.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chair 2A.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	39384 Opinions please.