Small Scrap Storage

glenn bradley

With all the Christmas gift building lately I am getting snowdrifts of small scraps of nice woods. A thread about what to do with small scrap got me motivated. I grabbed some of the junk wood that LOML brings me from her work, a brad nailer and some glue and knocked this out.

small scrap storage 001.jpgsmall scrap storage 002.jpg

I stuck it over here because that's where the biggest pile of small stuff ended up. Why fight the natural way of things? ;-)

small scrap storage 003.jpg

I use a cleat system for wall space management. I made a bunch of extra cleat material so I can just lop off a piece when I need it for additions like this. I am not sold on the location but, with the cleat setup it is easy to jockey things around till I am happy.

I figure I will limit myself to what fits in this thing and the rest is outta here. Larger pieces have a home under the TS outfeed. Pieces larger than that go in the cutoff bin but, the little stuff has got to get up off the floor ;-)

Last edited:
I was just looking as my smaller scraps 2 days ago thinking that I need to do something with them. That is a good solution Glenn:thumb: Thanks for the Idea:)

I had the same problem as Jim. I have scraps that have been in the same buckets and boxes for years. I have reached maximum density in the shop and the "unnecessary" things are just gonna have to go ;). These little scraps get used for box pulls and hinges and pegs so I don't want to toss them all but I hope this helps me set a threshold pf sorts. :)

As I sort through and decide what to save I realize what a fire hazard I was brewing . . . and me always citing shop safety, for shame.

Last edited:
Those who have visited my shop have been too polite to comment.
I have a 30 gal. plastic garbage can full, a pile here, a pile there next to the lathe, another pile behind the bandsaw, a box of Australian exotics under the workbench, another box of Hawaiian exotics on the floor, right where I kick it every time I walk by, a box of New York state exotics behind that, boxes of duck call blanks in an inaccessible location on a bottom shelf......and so it goes....
But, it's MINE!!! :D

Nice solution for a common problem, Glenn! :thumb:

Your cleat system is also a good idea. I use French cleats for some of my upper cabinets and a few other things as well. Very handy for "remodeling" the old shop!