Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 23 gauge pin nailers?

23 gauge pin nailers?

Got a big custom job to do. A 23 gauge pin nailer would make good sense on this job.

Comments from users are appreciated. Which brand did you get? Which one would you buy now? Other information that would be helpful? What did you wish you had known when you got your gun?

Can't help on this one... I've got an 18. When the pressure gets low, just a bit above the switch-on threshold, it gets a little stubborn about firing 'em all the way in... which is a real PAIN.

I didn't anticipate needing it a whole lot, so I bought it from Harbor Fright.
    -- Tim --

carol i have the cadex, good gun easy to use and small frame,pricey but i got a deal on it.. the next choice is a grex, and price is better. there is a thread here somewhere that asked the same question not long ago.. i think bruce page has a grex as well.

found a link carol...LINK
    Last edited by larry merlau; 11-13-2009 at 12:17 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I bought the porter cable pin nailer and wondered how I ever got along without it. The only draw back is it the longest pin it shoots is 1" but haven't had a need for anything longer than that.

My Senco shoots pins up to 1". I've never needed a longer one. About $140.00.

If you're looking for a real bargain, check out Harbor Freight. They had one for about thirty bucks a while back, and reports on it were actually pretty good.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Carol,

Here is an online review from Canadian Home Workshop magazine.

If I was aiming for heavy use, I'd be tempted to buy the Grex and "cry once".
    Remember, though, that there are 2-3 versions of the Grex out there, that mostly differ in length. So if you never will need to shoot a 2" pin, then you can buy the much cheaper Grex that shoots up to 1-3/8".
    (I suspect that an installer will want the top of the line, for things like crown molding where the pin length is needed, whereas a cabinetmaker might be satisfied with a 1-3/8" capacity, which is enough to fasten 3/4" stock)

Note, I don't have one, yet. It's on my wishlist, but hasn't made it to the top yet.

best,
    ...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

in reguards to pin length,, i dont think the 2" length is anything most would want. the 1.375 is more than sufficient.. these little guys have a mind of there own and can come out in the wrong places easily. it doesnt take much to steer them wrong.. so the shorter your pin the more you have in stiffness to go straight.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Home Depot has one on their Christmas sale. $140 and it comes with a 18 ga also. Porter cable brand.

I have the 21 ga. that Woodcraft used to sell. Although useful, I wish I had known enough at the time to make sure to get a 23 ga. The 23's are almost invisible. The 21 is clearly visible.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I have the 23ga pinner from Harbor Freight. I've used the daylights out of it and it just keeps on working. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, if I ever have to do so.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station