23 gauge pin nailers?

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Got a big custom job to do. A 23 gauge pin nailer would make good sense on this job.

Comments from users are appreciated. Which brand did you get? Which one would you buy now? Other information that would be helpful? What did you wish you had known when you got your gun?

Can't help on this one... I've got an 18. When the pressure gets low, just a bit above the switch-on threshold, it gets a little stubborn about firing 'em all the way in... which is a real PAIN.

I didn't anticipate needing it a whole lot, so I bought it from Harbor Fright.

carol i have the cadex, good gun easy to use and small frame,pricey but i got a deal on it.. the next choice is a grex, and price is better. there is a thread here somewhere that asked the same question not long ago.. i think bruce page has a grex as well.

found a link carol...LINK

Last edited:
I bought the porter cable pin nailer and wondered how I ever got along without it. The only draw back is it the longest pin it shoots is 1" but haven't had a need for anything longer than that.

My Senco shoots pins up to 1". I've never needed a longer one. About $140.00.

If you're looking for a real bargain, check out Harbor Freight. They had one for about thirty bucks a while back, and reports on it were actually pretty good.

Carol,

Here is an online review from Canadian Home Workshop magazine.

If I was aiming for heavy use, I'd be tempted to buy the Grex and "cry once".
Remember, though, that there are 2-3 versions of the Grex out there, that mostly differ in length. So if you never will need to shoot a 2" pin, then you can buy the much cheaper Grex that shoots up to 1-3/8".
(I suspect that an installer will want the top of the line, for things like crown molding where the pin length is needed, whereas a cabinetmaker might be satisfied with a 1-3/8" capacity, which is enough to fasten 3/4" stock)

Note, I don't have one, yet. It's on my wishlist, but hasn't made it to the top yet.

best,
...art

in reguards to pin length,, i dont think the 2" length is anything most would want. the 1.375 is more than sufficient.. these little guys have a mind of there own and can come out in the wrong places easily. it doesnt take much to steer them wrong.. so the shorter your pin the more you have in stiffness to go straight.

I have the 21 ga. that Woodcraft used to sell. Although useful, I wish I had known enough at the time to make sure to get a 23 ga. The 23's are almost invisible. The 21 is clearly visible.

I have the 23ga pinner from Harbor Freight. I've used the daylights out of it and it just keeps on working. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, if I ever have to do so. :)

I had the Harbor Freight didn't get much use out of it till the adjustment for pin length started sticking I worked it over several times but it would just foul up again then the gun started jamming. I believe the gun was not made to tight enough tolerances. I did keep it lubricated as instructed. Scored a 6 point lead:rofl: from the bench to the trash can & another 10 point lead :rofl:when I ordered a re-manufactured Porter Cable been happy ever since.:D

Remember that the longer pins can follow the grain & you can end up with a bunch of pin curls which may look good on a lady but not on your fine woodworking project.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. And thanks Art for the link to the review. Haven't decided yet but the next time I am in Home Depot, I'll look at the Rigid. The Grex gets great reviews and it ought to at its price, but "so many tools, too little money!" Anybody get the Rigid?

Another (late) vote for the Harbor Freight 23 gauge pinner. Mine hasn't been worked to death, but the times I've needed it, it has worked great. A few jams over the past couple of years, but nothing substantial, and not bad considering the $30-ish price I paid.

The vote is rather interesting (over two forums). HF and PC are tied. No one speaks poorly of the Grex and the reviews are terrific. Testimonials on the Senco's are mixed, with the older models getting the nod. No other brands have been mentioned except in the Canadian Woodworking review.

Now I am looking at the Grex 635, about $60 more than the PC but it shoots 1 3/8" to the PC's 1". The jury is still out. I have some time before I have to make this purchase.

... Now I am looking at the Grex 635, about $60 more than the PC but it shoots 1 3/8" to the PC's 1". The jury is still out. I have some time before I have to make this purchase.
Carol,

As Larry said, you have to watch out for the longer pins coming out the side of a piece of wood by following the grain. My HF shoots up to 1" and some of those came out on kitchen drawers I built recently. I was attaching 1/2" trim to the top edge with 1" pins. Most of the pins went where they were supposed to go but some came out the side of the trim or a little bit into the plywood side. If it matters, I use PC pins.

What kind of project are you doing?