23 gauge pin nailers?

Well, I can't seem to find the Rigid pin nailer on line or at Home Depot. Not available in the U.S.?

Well that's a first, then. Usually it's stuff in the US not available here.

Here is the link to the homedepot.ca website.

The SKU is 1000495411, and I tried that on the homedepot.com webpage and got nothing. Weird.
If I do a google search I do get a link back to the ridgid.com website, but it isn't responding to me right now...

I have 18 gauge nailers and am familiar with nails shooting out the sides. Have to pay attention to the grain! Lottsa nerves in the fingers and they ALL yell when encountering a wayward nail!

The upcoming project is 65 feet of floor to ceiling book cases for a client. The second is redo of my own kitchen. Think lots of crown molding!

My first job is as a minister. Right now that is a part time thing. And that's just fine with me. So I took on the custom job. I also am having bids for a major exterior wall change in the kitchen. Then I get to do the cabinets. That'll be a first. Building furniture for me!

I've never had an issue with 18ga brads coming out the side of something. Their greater mass helps keep them straight. On the other hand, 23ga pins are like shooting a piece of wire into whatever material.

I would never have thought of using 23ga pins to do crown molding. Pins don't have any permanent holding power. I use them mostly to keep pieces in alignment while the glue cures.

Carol I had senco but as they wore out I replace them with PC at about half the cost and they work just as well and are also rebuildable and use the same nails/pins I used them to shoot pins in Hardy-Backer and that stuff is hard on guns, they held up better the the more expensive senco. I got mine awhile back from Ballew Saw & Tool in Springfield for $99.00 might be higher now but would check.
Also Senco just went bankrupted a few months back so I gave my last Senco gun away because of trouble getting parts.
Jay

I would never have thought of using 23ga pins to do crown molding. Pins don't have any permanent holding power. I use them mostly to keep pieces in alignment while the glue cures.

I have heard that a lot, but I've also heard conflicting comments also.

For instance... here is an extended review of the Grex nailer on the grex website. Around the 2:15 mark, Steve fires in just two pins, and then picks up 30lbs of weight with it. That was pretty amazing. Now the one quibble is that he doesn't say how long the pins were. I'm sure that 2" of solid wood contact will hold a lot more than 3/4" of contact
(I've met Steve Maxwell, the guy in that video review, and he is as honest as the day is long. )

But I still don't know that I would fork out for the extra cost of that Grex p650L pinner! :rolleyes:

A 23ga pin nailer isn't good for much, but what it is good for is priceless.
Tiny mouldings, crosspinning mitres on crown and trim are about it. They also work wonders for fixing small splits. Alot of times if I get a splint near the edge on a piece of trim I can push it back and nail it with that little bugger and it'll stay closed. I've used it a bit for pinning up crown, but I'm not real happy with the result. On a straight piece there just isn't much holding power with a nail that small.

They're also nice for pinning the back of doors at the joint. I haven't been doing it long enough with mine to know if this is actually a smart idea or not.

I have a Senco, no idea which model.

I've never had an issue with 18ga brads coming out the side of something. Their greater mass helps keep them straight. On the other hand, 23ga pins are like shooting a piece of wire into whatever material.

:rofl: I feel the same way about 18ga pins. I use a 15ga finish gun for everything I can. They almost never rim out. I've actually had worse luck with 18ga blowing out then with the 23ga.

I have the P-C 23 gauge pinner. It has worked well for the few projects I have used it on. The cost was a big plus on this model. The only real down side is the biggest pins you can use is 1 inch.

I definitely recommend a 23 gauge model. 21 gauge isn't as common, so you might have a problem finding pins for them.

Grex is the way to go if you need pins longer than an inch. Very high quality, but you pay for that quality.