DC in separate room, how to vent?

Everett Evans

Hi folks, I just purchased a Grizzly 1029Z2 2HP DC which will be located in a separate room in my barn (used to be an outhouse, then a closet, now a DC room). I live in NH, and don't want to vent outside (at least during the winter), so I was planning on cutting a nice, clean window in the closet, with a furnace filter, to return the air back to the shop. Do I need to worry about the size of the window/filter, or added resistance to the DC, increasing static pressure? I was going to use a high-end 20" x 25" filter, the biggest 1" thick filter I could find easily. Sound good? Thanks! Everett

If you are concerned about noise, you can build a folded vent into the wall. Open a hole in the wall in the DC closet at 5', then another one in the shop wall down low. This way the return air has to change direction, and that helps to cancel out sound waves. Same principle as a car muffler uses to quiet exhaust noise. Make the opening that is easiest to get to have the filter in it. Jim.

Not an expert here, but the volume of air you pull is just as important in dust collection. If you restrict the amount of air with too small a return to the shop it will hurt the performance.

I don't know how much air can flow through that filter. But if it is to small, add another one. And since it is returning filters air, you don't 'need' a filter do you?

I don't know how much air can flow through that filter. But if it is to small, add another one. And since it is returning filters air, you don't 'need' a filter do you?

A furnace filter (if it's a super-fine one) will help pull the last of the fine-fine dust out of the air, the stuff the filter bag won't catch.

Everett, one 20x25 may not be enough; even a large furnace may not push as much air around as that HF DC. You may want to put two of 'em in - even if one is enough when it's clean, it'll restrict flow as soon as it gets dust-laden... and when it starts restricting flow, it'll bow like a balloon. Two filters will give ya more work time before ya gotta' change 'em.

You could experiment with one & see if that's enough. If it's not, you can always add another... and another as necessary.

Thanks for the info folks. Jim, the folded vent idea sounds great, since this wall faces the attached house. I just insulated, but havent sheathed the shop-side wall, so retrofitting dual vents (one high, one low) and leaving a passage for the air to travel would be pretty easy by removing the fiberglass in between.

The reason for the filter is as Tim stated, the DC has a 2.5 micron filter, but the high-end furnace filter would get rid of most of the <2.5 micron stuff that sneaks out. If the filter clogs quickly or really kills the flow, I would probably just remove it and rely on my box fan cleaner and masks. BTW, why the HF note? Grizzly makes some nice stuff! I've had their G7944 drill press for years with zero issues, and the DC is beautiful (haven't fired it up yet, but it sure looks pretty.)

BTW, why the HF note? Grizzly makes some nice stuff! I've had their G7944 drill press for years with zero issues, and the DC is beautiful (haven't fired it up yet, but it sure looks pretty.)

Aaaa, crap. When I read "Grizzly" I pictured it, and it's green, and it's nearly exactly the same color green as my HF... and so I forgot to visualize the Grizzly label on it, so when I wrote about it my brains filled in "HF". I might add that the HF DC I own is also nice stuff - I wasn't knockin' the Griz at all. I wouldn't DO that - I own their 8" jointer, their 14" bandsaw, and two of their table saws! I don't remember which green is on my drill press - one or the other.

Welcome Everett!!
I just got my first DC about a month ago and it just sits in the cormer of my shop. The noise isn't too bad. I like your ideas and may give it a try in the spring.
Where in NH are you ??

Any filter, or bent that put before or after the DC will affect its performance, the pipe length from the DC to your machines will as well.
A 2HP DC may loose almost all its power depending on that.

Everett,

A friend of mine has a "Z" shaped return as viewed from the side on his Oneida DC which is located in a closet. He lined the returned duct with thin insulation as it reflects less sound than wood does. It works well for him. As Jim stated, having a return duct that's not a straight line decreases the amount of sound transmitted via the return duct. I'd oversize the return duct in that case to minimize the drag on returning air.

No problem Tim, I've heard good things about HF as well. Bob, I'm over in Exeter, just moved back after 10 years out of state and loving it. Thanks for the tips guys!