Thread: I had a nice surprise last night

I had a nice surprise last night

My Dad's old 12" RAS which I have had for about 10 years has set idle for several years after having a visit from Wisha same a Osha accept for Washington state. The only thing he found wrong in the shop was that the RAS had to have a guard that would knock my hand out of the way before the blade could get to it & a pull back system.

My shop is used for both business & pleasure.

Well on to the surprise. I swung the saw arm around from being turned sideways to the table installed the guard I had made & tried a cut across a 10" piece of material it cut perfectly square. I had to adjust the tilt of the head less than 1/32" to have perfect alignment that way also.

Now I will sometime in the future need to buy a negative hook blade. Although I have never had a problem in the past with a regular blade.

At this time I run a 10" carbide blade because all I have is the regular steel 12" blades Dad had & used on it.

I will say I started using this saw so long ago that a negative hook blade is something I don't think they had even thought of yet. Wow that was 38 or 39 years ago my how time flies. Dad purchased this saw in 1967 & first used it on his second spec house.

When I received the saw the guide bar & roller system was worn out. The bars were not round anymore.

This saw was used out on large jobs to include apartment complexes, elementary schools & restaurants by a lot of different people. So they didn't always take the care in keeping it adjusted properly. although Dad did check it from time to time. It had a roof built over it & the head was removed & stored inside at night. I think in the last 8-10 years Dad had the saw it was used to just cut up scrap small enough to burn in the shop stove.

All I've done to the saw is install a new guide & roller system & install the new table & adjust the saw following the instructions in the owners manual.

Dad still has a 10" Craftsman RAS that has been used for just cabinet & furniture building & is older than this saw.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 01-18-2007 at 02:50 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Was the surprise that the saw worked so well or that WISHA didn't find anything else wrong?

Seriously, Both are good news!
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Bart, Bart, Bart.... I can see I am going to have to train you. You got Tyler covered with the photo, so thats good. But I want to see at least a brand and preferably model numbers too.

I can't tell from the photo if that is a Craftsman Model 100 (I don't think so) Or if that is a DeWalt (maybe) or something else. Details man! Details!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Very nice and very lucky. An aligned RAS seems to be a contradiction of terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    Bart, Bart, Bart.... I can see I am going to have to train you. You got Tyler covered with the photo, so thats good. But I want to see at least a brand and preferably model numbers too.

I can't tell from the photo if that is a Craftsman Model 100 (I don't think so) Or if that is a DeWalt (maybe) or something else. Details man! Details!

Now Jeff you don't think a model 100 was made in a 12" size do you?

Yes it a Craftsman 12" saw & was manufactured it 1967.

Model 113.29500 now isn't that a nice round number?

Here are pics of the guard.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 01-18-2007 at 07:36 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

No, didn't think it was a 100 but the knob on the arm made me wonder. I didn't know Sears made a 12" to be honest!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits