Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on Art Show (long version)

Harvey, Michigan

Talking Update on Art Show (long version)

Some of you may recall that I entered a regional juried art show awhile back. Of the three pieces I submitted, one of them was accepted to the show – this one:

When I originally posted the work, I also requested ideas for names - as naming your art seems to be the thing to do at these shows. Of all the really good suggestions that were offered, one really stood out and ended up being the one adopted. The name: Hope, suggested by my good online friend, Walt Caza! Thank you Walt as the name truly fit the turning!

Yesterday morning I received a phone call from the Bonifas Art Center. My first thoughts were that they had dropped the turning! Actually, they called to verify that I was planning to attend the reception as my artwork had been chosen to receive recognition. Really? That’s cool.

So, last night, the public reception/opening of the Northern Exposure XVI Art Show was held at the William Bonifas Fine Arts Center in beautiful downtown Escanaba, MI. My wife and I arrived fashionably late thanks to a very strong headwind for the duration of our 65 mile drive. When we arrived we were both surprised to find the place already very crowded with lots more folks driving around looking for a place to park. Cool!

We were warmly welcomed at the door by one of the staff and briefly told where everything was located as there was a large entry area with seating and a bar, a main showroom and a large upstairs showroom. I glanced around the room and saw a friend of mine from our turning club – Bill Wiard and his wife Edith. They both had artwork in the show, his being a large turned tree stump with turquoise inlay and she had a beautiful watercolor.

We all walked into the main showroom, picked up our name tags and started checking out the art. There was some amazing work being displayed and barely had time to walk around the lower gallery when they started the awards ceremony. This was the first art show I have been in where the artists actually could win cash awards as well as a shot at getting your own gallery show.

My friend, Bill Wiard, won an invitation to a big Petoskey Gallery Art Show coming up in February. Bill has been doing art shows and galleries for years and is fairly well known locally, but he was very happy for the opportunity to do a show south of the bridge!

I also managed to win something.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Accepting Award.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	39098

Out of all the awards, I like mine the best! I won one of four purchase prizes! My turning was bought by Bay de Noc Community College to become part of their permanent art collection! The collection display is alternated between their Escanaba campus and their Iron Mountain campus! I am thrilled that the piece was sold but even more elated that the piece isn’t going to some nice home where only the buyers can enjoy it – but is becoming a part of an art collection with lots of exposure! When you are trying to get your name out there as a turner - How cool is that!?!

Name:	Purchase Prize Award.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	39102 Bay de Noc's newest art collection addition - Hope.

Name:	Art Talking.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	39099 profile shot, presenter from Bay de Noc College, Bill Wiard

Name:	Bill's Stump Turning.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	39100 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edith's Watercolor.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	39101 Bill's turned stump and Edith's watercolor!

Anyway, wanted to update everyone on the outcome of the art show and thank everyone once again for their support with all the name suggestions!

I seriously appreciate it! Thank you!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Congrats stevce and well deserved.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Delton, Michigan
    good deal steve that stump is sharp as well from your freind.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

DSM, IA
    Steve, this is outstanding...congrats and I hope you continued success!

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Escondido, CA
    Congratulations. Recognition certainly can make your day!

Reno NV
    Great job. Looks like it was a pretty good time as well!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Southeast Pa
    Congratulations, beautiful piece.

North West Indiana
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! If I could turn something that nice, couldn't enter it, don't own a suit! Way to go though! Ya dun good!!!!!
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Pickles Gap, Arkansas
    Congratulations Steve - very impressive!
    If you have a pulse you have a purpose...

Tokyo Japan
    Very nice Steve, thanks for sharing that with us all, congrats all around, and you clean up fairly good, you look a LOT younger than your avatar pic

All the best
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward