Update on Art Show (long version)

Some of you may recall that I entered a regional juried art show awhile back. Of the three pieces I submitted, one of them was accepted to the show – this one: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15558

When I originally posted the work, I also requested ideas for names - as naming your art seems to be the thing to do at these shows. Of all the really good suggestions that were offered, one really stood out and ended up being the one adopted. The name: Hope, suggested by my good online friend, Walt Caza! Thank you Walt as the name truly fit the turning!

Yesterday morning I received a phone call from the Bonifas Art Center. My first thoughts were that they had dropped the turning! Actually, they called to verify that I was planning to attend the reception as my artwork had been chosen to receive recognition. Really? That’s cool.

So, last night, the public reception/opening of the Northern Exposure XVI Art Show was held at the William Bonifas Fine Arts Center in beautiful downtown Escanaba, MI. My wife and I arrived fashionably late thanks to a very strong headwind for the duration of our 65 mile drive. When we arrived we were both surprised to find the place already very crowded with lots more folks driving around looking for a place to park. Cool!

We were warmly welcomed at the door by one of the staff and briefly told where everything was located as there was a large entry area with seating and a bar, a main showroom and a large upstairs showroom. I glanced around the room and saw a friend of mine from our turning club – Bill Wiard and his wife Edith. They both had artwork in the show, his being a large turned tree stump with turquoise inlay and she had a beautiful watercolor.

We all walked into the main showroom, picked up our name tags and started checking out the art. There was some amazing work being displayed and barely had time to walk around the lower gallery when they started the awards ceremony. This was the first art show I have been in where the artists actually could win cash awards as well as a shot at getting your own gallery show.

My friend, Bill Wiard, won an invitation to a big Petoskey Gallery Art Show coming up in February. Bill has been doing art shows and galleries for years and is fairly well known locally, but he was very happy for the opportunity to do a show south of the bridge!

I also managed to win something.
Accepting Award.jpg

Out of all the awards, I like mine the best! I won one of four purchase prizes! My turning was bought by Bay de Noc Community College to become part of their permanent art collection! The collection display is alternated between their Escanaba campus and their Iron Mountain campus! I am thrilled that the piece was sold but even more elated that the piece isn’t going to some nice home where only the buyers can enjoy it – but is becoming a part of an art collection with lots of exposure! When you are trying to get your name out there as a turner - How cool is that!?!

Purchase Prize Award.jpg Bay de Noc's newest art collection addition - Hope.

Art Talking.jpg profile shot, presenter from Bay de Noc College, Bill Wiard

Bill's Stump Turning.jpg Edith's Watercolor.jpg Bill's turned stump and Edith's watercolor!

Anyway, wanted to update everyone on the outcome of the art show and thank everyone once again for their support with all the name suggestions!

I seriously appreciate it! Thank you! :wave:

Very nice Steve, thanks for sharing that with us all, congrats all around, and you clean up fairly good, you look a LOT younger than your avatar pic :D

All the best :thumb:

Thanks for the kind words everyone! It was quite a night and I was lucky to be able to share it with my wife, Colleen, and our youngest son, Ian. Usually when good things happen you are by yourself standing in the middle of the woods and there is no one to share the moment with!

Jonathan - I understand the suit comment and have not owned one myself until I had to pick one up to wear to a funeral. I usually over-dress for occasions but have to admit that some of the 'art' types can give me a run for the money when it comes to eccentric looks!

Bigtime congrats, Steve! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I gotta agree...the thought of having something in a permanent public collection is more appealing than having it in a private collector's home.

(And a fellow longhair, to boot. I musta just not been paying attention all these years.)
:D

Steve,

Congratulations! I'll make sure to see your piece as my daughters go to the Bay Escanaba campus. My middle daughter is transferring to Northern next year.

I will do my best to make the turners meeting in December. Things have been extremely busy this fall. I also want to see your shop and see your lathe. It will be a while before I can buy a lathe. (I hope Larry doesnt read this - he will really think the turners are corrupting me:rofl:)

It turned out perfectly,Steve!

I really love that piece and think you should make more in the series. I know I have some plexiglas around here so I can try that finial.